Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2005 5:56:29 PM EDT
hello! my bull barrel arrived yesterday...i would like to ask for your suggestion on what quality optics to buy for my new ruger 10/22.

thank you!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]
One thing to consider on a .22 scope is parallax adjustment.  Rimfire specific scopes will usually have their parallax set at 50 or 75 yards, if they don't have an adjustable objective.  Most Centerfire rifles have the parallex set at 100 yards.  

Both of my 10/22s have AO scopes where the minimum distance can go as low as 25 yards.  I generally do range work at 50 yards with these rifles, so being able to go back and forth between 25, 50, and 100 yards with an adjustable objective is very handy.  

If you're going to be doing a lot of shooting at less than 100 yards, it might pay to get a dedicated rimfire scope, or something along the lines of what I outlined above.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
better suited in the armory forum under 10/22 but

i like my simmons 44mag

6.5-20x44mm with an adjustable objective, target turrets, great glass and its only $100

like fenian said most of the nicer scopes have the parallax set for centerfires and that being 100yds. so if you put this on your rimfire and shoot at 50 or less you will have parallax issues.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#4]
...i was having some problems with the STIFF magnification adjustment of the Nikon.. what abou the Simmons?    i was being lured to get the Rifleman series or VariX-1 of Leupold....    but do anyone here have an experience on them especially the stiffness of the magnification adjustment?  thank you!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the 3x9x40 Leupold Rifleman (wide duplex reticle) on my 10/22.  Works great for me, I just wish the adjustments clicked instead of being friction.  But after it's zeroed I don't mess with it anyway.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#6]
A great font of knowledge is the optics forum of rimfirecentral. They also have a TON of tweaks you can do at home to make your autoloader shoot incredibly well.
 That being said,  if you got a halfway decent barrel (green Mountain/Adams & Bennett) or better, you will absolutely soil your shorts when you see how small your groups can get with even bulk ammo it likes.  I have a Volquartsen that I picked up slightly used and it shoots MOA or better if I do my part.

What you should consider is an adjustable objective scope- it will allow you to set parallax at whatever range you happen to be shooting.  With the newfound accuracy, you will find that the high power that usually goes along with adjustable objectives to be quite useful.  My recommendation as best  bang for the buck is the Simmons Whitetail Classic 6-20X50, model WTC18 available thru SWFA for $99.  You don't get quite everything at this price- it is a BIG bulky scope with a strange finish on it.  It is mechanically excellent and  quite robust, particularly for rimfire uses. its optics are pretty good also.  I would recommend its little brother the ATV in 4-14x44, three of which I bought last year on closeout, but  it is  discontinued.  

If you want to spend more, the Bushnell Elites are also great scopes at 2-4x the price of the WTC 18 but are not 2-4X the scope for the money.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Someone photoshop a pic telling him that the 10/22 forum is that way ---->.

Or is is that way????<------
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top