Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2005 4:44:57 PM EDT
I have an eotech on my entry tactical and I am in the process of building a mid length RRA long(er) range gun. I have a hard time shooting far with the eotech and want to be able to shoot out to 100 yards with pretty good accuracy. 1-1.5 inch groups. With the RRA NM triggers, I am a decent shot, but my question is...

Is there any combat optic in the same price range that is comparable that is lit and is magnified? I am pretty much set on the TA31F with the chevron reticule.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Matt
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Matt,

I am deep in the self debate over the right optic for my CBQ M4. I have landed on the Aimpoint ML3 for now. In the process of doing my research I have found several consistencies in opinions. The one most common theme is that a red dot optic (eotech/aimpoint) should be more than sufficient as far out as 200-250 yards. Some suggested 300m was the max effective distance.

I can not say I have confirmed this with my own tests but ALL consulted agreed on this.

I would suggest that before you spend cash on another optic, find out if this is true and, if so, why you are having a tough time at a considerably shorter distance.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I am now a happy owner of both a ML2 and a TA01NSN. The Aimpoint is definatly good to 100-150 meters (furthest I've tried it) with good(federal/winchester) bulk ammo. You could also get the 3x magnifier and put it on par with the ACOG. The ACOG is good to the extent of your abilities, just the way it is. Period.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The red dot (AIMPOINT) or holo (EOTECH) sights should be good out to 300 w/o problems.  If you want precision work for mid/longer range engagements, the ACOG is the way to go.

I have several ACOGs and my first one was bought almost 8 years ago.  It is the perfect patrol optic on a 20" upper.  My next build will be an 18" SPR with the 5.5x ACOG.

With my 4x ACOG, I have successfully engaged head sized target at night, just short of 300 yards.
I can engage targets out to 600 yards with confidence, day in and day out.
I have used it successfully covered in mud, freezing my ass off in snow, and dripping wet "near hypothermia" in freezing rain.
I can kick doors with the ACOG, although it is not my first choice optic for close quarters.

IMHO it is the ultimate do it all optic.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies!

it could be that I just dont have enough seat time with the eotech at longer ranges, but at 25 yards Im getting roughly 1/2 inch groups of 3-5 shots.

Remillard-that is just what I was looking to hear. I would be keeping my eotech for HD/CQB but I want to have something that lets me get a real good view of targets that are just a bit father away.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:55:58 AM EDT
[#6]
The EOTech is great up to 300 yards or so.  Past that you have to do some guestimating with the wind and bullet drop although the EOTech ring helps in the latter for me.

I've had great luck with it but I am also looking for an ACOG or similar (is there, I don't think so) magnified optic which would help with target identification and more precision shots.  I just have to save up my pennies to buy one!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#7]
get the acog!

i have another en-route
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]
All of the 1-4X type variables are lit and magnified and in the same price range.  There is a thread somewhere here on it.  Id read up on that thread before deciding.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#9]
ya devl, i believe it was on the tr20?21? accupoint. It was talking about how that is one of the best acogs for the money. for the CQB use and for Longer Ranges. Ill have to dig it up and read it again....
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I hate things that are meant to be jacks-off-all-trades, because they never do anyone thing REALLY well, but for me the TA31A comes closest.

Its a keeper for me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]
so i ended up finding the thread on close-to-intermediate range optics and it looked like the tr21 took the cake with the amber reticle.

I really like the BDC that is fixed to the ta31f though.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got my ACOG TA11C from Mike at csgunworks.com for my AR-10.  Fast shipping from CA to NY.  Mike is a great guy to deal with excellent customer service.  This is my first ACOG.  For the shooting that I do under 300 yards best option by far.
Good luck
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#13]
personally i liked the FOV of the ta31 better, although you have more eye relieft with the ta11. What i am wondering though, is why is the ta11 more money than the ta31, you would figure more magnification=more money?

why did you choose the 11 over the 31?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Cost wise I don't know how Trijion comes up with the pricing.  My guess may be that the TA11 sight may be more difficult/expensive to make then the straight hash marks.  Just a guess.
I went with the TA11 for the simple reason that most if all of my shooting is under 300 yards.  In a close situation it is easier to pick up the TA11 donut then the cross hairs.  The TA11C's bullet drop compensator is set for .308.  I believe the 31 is for .223.
It really depends on what you are using it for.  My AR-10 is a 16".  If I was going to do long range shooting I would go with a Super Sniper scope.  I got the GGG quick mount for my ACOG.  In the future if I want to reach out and touch someone I could always mount a long range scope.
See if you can look through a couple of  ACOGs and see what you feel comfortable with.  I am kind of new to the ACOG system and went through the same thought process as you.  Just think about how your are really going to shoot.
Good luck and hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#15]
i really want to do shooting in the 100-200 yard range with pretty good accuracy, and for possible use in one of the tactical carbine classes(although I should probably use the eotech)
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#16]
dsg,
Check out the tread below.  It has some good pics of the differnt sight pics.  May help you make up your mind.  Also the Eotech is about half the price.  I think i comes down to personal preference.  It's like the old Chevy vs. Ford pickup truck debate.  I have seen a number of post that say that you can effectively use an Eotech in the ranges you are looking at.  I have one on my shotgun.  Close in it is great.  Never used it past 50 yards or so.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=158932&page=1
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
personally i liked the FOV of the ta31 better, although you have more eye relieft with the ta11. What i am wondering though, is why is the ta11 more money than the ta31, you would figure more magnification=more money?

why did you choose the 11 over the 31?

TA11 has a larger objective lens (35mm) vs. the TA31 (32mm), so I assume the larger piece of optical glass is the primary reason for the higher price.

Dave

ETA: I have both an aimpoint M2 and a TA31F, and while they both have there strong points, if I had only one choice I would most likely go with one of the TA31's as a do-it-all optic.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top