Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2005 2:53:16 PM EDT
Will I be able to use an Aimpoint with astigmatism? Apparently mines not that bad.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure.

EOTech's can be funky for some people, but Aimpoint's usually no trouble
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Try comparing them before buying. Maybe someone at the range can let you shoot a few with it. For me the Aimpoint was more forgiving.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have some astimatism in my right eye.  The aimpoint ML3 dot is not round but eliptical to me.  I am going to try it again, my first range outing was not as productive as I had hoped.  I am somewhat confused either with the behavior of the rifle/ammunition/aimpoint combination.  In the end I may wind up with a telescope with red dot.  Jimmyp
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#4]
The Aimpoint Comp_2 works for me where the EoThingy and Comp_3 series did not.  Apparently my eyes do not like little dots.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Try comparing them before buying. Maybe someone at the range can let you shoot a few with it. For me the Aimpoint was more forgiving.

Same here, but the Holosight/EoTech will clear up a little in daylight...it looks a lot worse indoors, to me.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a small amount of astigmatism in my right eye, and dots appear as an elipse to me.

Same thing with aperture sights.  How the heck do you center the front sight post in the middle of an oval?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you wear corrective lenses which correct for your astigmatism?

My contacts correct for it, but the Aimpoint dot is still more elliptical than it is round.  It's still very usable, as I focus on the target and not the dot.  

I need to take another look at an Eotech now that my eyes have adjusted to the contacts.  Before when I looked, it was like a freaking Christmas tree.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#8]
my optometrist told me if i managed a good "cheek weld" every time i shouldn't have a problem regardless of my eye issue.  if it's blurry, it's blurry.  the line drawn from your eye to the sight should be the same each time regardless, right?  

i don't "see" the problem.  lol...

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:19:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Do people with astigmatism have problems with full size ACOGS, 3.5,4 times mag.

Perry
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Perry

I have an astigmatism in both eyes and own a TA31A and I have used the TA11F at work.

For my eyes, at seven yards POA/ POI is at least 10 inches off to the side when using BAC.

Your best bet is to try it out first before you buy.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perry

I have an astigmatism in both eyes and own a TA31A and I have used the TA11F at work.

For my eyes, at seven yards POA/ POI is at least 10 inches off to the side when using BAC.

Your saying once you zoom in or get the magnification, your aim/or sight is ok or at POA.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perry

Your saying once you zoom in or get the magnification, your aim/or sight is ok or at POA.

Correct.  If you are looking through the glass, POA/POI will be a bit low up close under 15 yards.

If you have both eyes open using BAC, the POI is off a bit to the side for me.  I think this is called "APHORIA", and it is a bit different for everyone.

If most of your shooting will be under 50 yards, I'd get an Aimpoint or EOtech.  If you will be shooting a lot past those distances, and your vision is so-so (like mine), magnification helps out a lot.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perry

Correct.  If you are looking through the glass, POA/POI will be a bit low up close under 15 yards.

If you have both eyes open using BAC, the POI is off a bit to the side for me.  I think this is called "APHORIA", and it is a bit different for everyone.

If most of your shooting will be under 50 yards, I'd get an Aimpoint or EOtech.  If you will be shooting a lot past those distances, and your vision is so-so (like mine), magnification helps out a lot.  

I do 3-gun shoots and more than half are within  50yrds, we have some 75 yard stuff.
Some 3-gun shoots got out to 200-300 yrds. I have been using an Aimpoint ML2 . I looked through a guys TA11 doughnut and I loved it, clear and cool. That guy owes be $900.
I ordered the ACOG TA11D, I hope its a good compromise between close up and long range shooting. If it doesn't work I can send it back and and maybe just shoot Tactical Iron(sights).

Thanks, Perry
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I have mild astigmatism.  My glasses supposedly correct for it.  In sunlight, the dot is perfect.  With other lighting, the dot grows a tail unless the dot is faint.

With the eothing, the center dot grew an enourmous tail but the circle was OK.

Both scopes work OK.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I have astigmatism in both eyes and wear contacts to correct that.

I have an Aimpoint and love it.  The dot is an elipse inside, but outside looks normal.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I' have a good astigmatism in my right eye due to injury, and my sight out of that eye isn't that great.

I have found that if I'm using red dot sights, the farther away from my eye I get it, the better it appears.

Also, the dot will appear smaller the farther away it is.   A 4 MOA aimpoing might really take up 6moa if your eye socket is physically on the scope, or might appear to be 2 MOA if mounted far forward on a scout rifle set up.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top