Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2005 5:30:26 PM EDT
I read the night vision thread up top in this forum, but I don't understand all what is said.  I've never messed with any NV equipment and don't know much about it.  

I'm looking for a cheaper (~$600 or less) NV scope.  I know it'll probably have to be a Gen I, but that is fine with me.  I guess Gen I is better than none for the time being.

I have been looking at Night Owl optics and ATN, like the Aries 330, 238 or Paladin.  I would like to be able to mount them to a AR or just use them for observation.

I know the military models are better, but I can't find a good place to buy them on the web, or know what is comparable to the above models.

Also, the ability to use AA batteries is important to me, if I can find one that can.

I also notice that the rifle scopes are a bit more expensive than the monoculars that can't be rilfe mounted.  Would it just be better to spend the money on a good Gen II monocular than a Gen I scope?  

Any and all suggestions or opinions are welcome.  

Thanks, Mac
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
 Good questions. I too would like to see this answered
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it better to have a GenI than nothing?  IMHO no, without it, you'd still have the $ in your pocket.  It's so grainy and blurry, I think you'd be better served with scopes that have good light gathering/transimission capabilities.
Save up and get a GenIII.  I bought an Aris then a PVS4 before I finally did that.  Both were bulky enough I never took them anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#3]
BTT, i want some more input from experienced users.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:38:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it better to have a GenI than nothing?  IMHO no, without it, you'd still have the $ in your pocket.  It's so grainy and blurry, I think you'd be better served with scopes that have good light gathering/transimission capabilities.
Save up and get a GenIII.  I bought an Aris then a PVS4 before I finally did that.  Both were bulky enough I never took them anywhere.

What he said.  Better to save and buy once than to go cheap and have two or three POS's.  Gen 3 is where it's at.  I have seen only a hand full of Gen 1 stuff and I'd never take a shot while looking through one.  VERY GRAINY!  JMO
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:03:31 AM EDT
[#5]
If money's tight and you want a better scope than a new Russian 1st gen, you sould look on Ebay for a used PVS2. The tube performance won't be a whole lot better than what the Russian stuff will offer, but the optics are WAAAAAAY better and the PVS2 is still being supported commercially.

Where would you send your Russian scope to be repaired?

Dave
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a USNV D241M Gen. II Scope. It's pretty decent out to 100 yards or so, past that you absolutely need the built in IR Illum for it to do any good.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have any experience with scopes, but you also mentioned for weapons off viewing. I own a generation 1 russian binocluar called Baigish 12. I've owned 3 different sets of these over the years and are far better than any of the night owl monoculars I've tried. None of these baigishs have ever broke with extensive use. I ended up the first 2 trading them off for a big profit. My latest pair I got on Ebay for around 120 shipped.. My first pair used a rechargeable russian battery but the second and third pair use a 9v battery. No IR assistance are on them and for all but the darkest, moonless nights such is not needed. They are an affordable binocular that are reliable  and  offer good performance compared to other russian 1st gen.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top