Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 7:04:47 PM EDT
What, exactly, is the point of the horizon line and notch on the small apeture ring of the ARMS #40 sight?  I can't figure it out for the life of me...

Regards,

Kevin
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, it is for shooting at longer distances (500-600 yards).
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IIRC, it is for shooting at longer distances (500-600 yards).

Yep.

It's actually more of a blur when you try to use it, though. Mine has some white paint on the cut part that I'm thinking of taking off with some paint thinner. Hopefully, that will make it a little more visible to my eye.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never shot my Arms 40 at that distance.  Is the idea that you don't need to account for bullet drop then?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, the top portion that they cut off has a notch cut in it. That notch is the 500-600m (or yards, whichever) aiming point. It basically just blurs out when you try to use it. I'll be able to do some shooting out that far when the sweetcorn gets taken out at our farm to see how it actually works at distance. I'm thinking I'll be lucky to get 50% hit rates with it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to all for your input.  So, is the technique to place the top of the front sight flush in the "notch" to shoot at 500+yards?  I guess that would compensate for the lack of rear sight elevation adjustments - but sounds a little tricky.

Regards,

Kevin
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, but it's harder to do because when it comes right down to it, you can hardly see the thing.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I agree. As a matter of fact, I can't really get good resolution using the small aperture even in good lighting because of this cut it seems. Is it possible to swap it out with a standard flip sight?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe, but I don't really know.

The one that's on there now looks like a modified A2.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#9]
You can change the flip sight out, but you have to be careful and you would be better off getting the 40A which has the A2 type apertures. If you choose to try changing it out, remember a few things before you start. Firstly, the screw going through the flip sight does not just screw out. It is affixed to the adjustment knob using a pin that runs through the knob. You have to punch this out first. The knob will then come off. Something to consider is that the sight, when swapped out with a standard A2 aperture might not fold down all of the way, requiring some filing/dremeling of the ledge that the clip holding down the sight slides over. IMHO, it just isn't worth the trouble. You'd be better off getting an 40A which already has this setup. Trust me, I know from firsthand experience.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top