Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/4/2005 2:35:21 PM EDT
I just picked up a Vari X-IIc 3-9x40.  It seems  pretty clear but I'm wondering if it completely focused.  It has a ring that seems to be a locking nut and threading in front of the eyepiece.  I don't have a manual.  Is this the focus?  Am I supposed to turn the eyepiece itself?  I thought I'd ask because I don't want to break it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes they can be focused, loosen the knurled locking ring, rotate the eyepiece to focus and tighten locking ring.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  It's pretty tought but it does turn.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#3]
It should not be that tight to turn, make sure you back off the ring so just the eye piece turns freely.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks.  It's pretty tought but it does turn.

Just grap the eye piece and turn it counter clockwise then you can turn the lock ring clcokwise .
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
The ring is backed off but it is an older scope.

What is a good method to determine if it is perfectly focused?  I've turned and turned it and can't seem to tell much of a difference.  I was thinking of using a piece of typed paper and just trying to see when the print is most legible.

I know my questions sound kind of dumb, but it is my first Leupold and it seems to be just as bright and clear as a generic $20 scope that I own.  I guess I was expecting better.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]
The purpose of focusing is to get the reticle clear.

Hold the scope upwards at the ceiling to veiw an all white background and with fast glances, look at the reticle to see if it's perfectly clear, adjust the eyepiece as needed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The purpose of focusing is to get the reticle clear.

Hold the scope upwards at the ceiling to veiw an all white background and with fast glances, look at the reticle to see if it's perfectly clear, adjust the eyepiece as needed.

I had no idea!  Will do.  Thank you.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top