Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 6:39:33 AM EDT
All,
Besides price differences, I'm looking for some input on the pros and cons of these two scopes.  They'd be used on AR15 and/or FAL rifles.  From what I understand, the Leupold has the benefit of being able to utilized multiple cams for different calibers/bullet weight.  Other than that, I'm hoping some experiencial suggestions can be provided.  

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Leupold does not even begin to compare on any level.  Its not a true 1X scope and cant be used as effectively as such.  Leupold is not bright enough for daytime BAC use, its battery life is less and has no auto shut off.  S&B has better glass and on and on...

You need to try a 1.5X and 1X magnification back to back and you will realise they are totally different scopes.  Not even a 1.25X can compare to a true 1X variable.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Leupold does not even begin to compare on any level.  Its not a true 1X scope and cant be used as effectively as such.  Leupold is not bright enough for daytime BAC use, its battery life is less and has no auto shut off.  S&B has better glass and on and on...

You need to try a 1.5X and 1X magnification back to back and you will realise they are totally different scopes.  Not even a 1.25X can compare to a true 1X variable.

Thanks, DevL.  I worry a bit about the shaking out the Buzz and BS before investing the $$$. There's a lot of noise around the S&B scope.  From your comments, it sounds like it's justified.  I want the true 1x, with the ability to extend the mag. for longer ranges.  This versatility is what I'm willing to spend my money on.  It sounds like the S&B fits the bill.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Drive up to Alexandria and Paul will show you MINE! (Both of them)

Simon
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh...the S&B has BDCs for 5.56. 55gr, 62 gr and 75 gr. Leupold will build you one to spec so that's a plus. I'm probably getting BDC for .499LWR for a M3 MR/T.

Paul was running my S&B the other day and having a good time making clay fragments dance. Oddly enough, he seems to prefer the ACOG.....funny man.

Simon
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:42:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Oh...the S&B has BDCs for 5.56. 55gr, 62 gr and 75 gr. Leupold will build you one to spec so that's a plus. I'm probably getting BDC for .499LWR for a M3 MR/T.

Paul was running my S&B the other day and having a good time making clay fragments dance. Oddly enough, he seems to prefer the ACOG.....funny man.

Simon

Simon, thanks.  Good info.  Any idea how much the BDCs are....is it a custom request or SOP to offer them.   Which M3 MR/T are you refering to (in terms of magnification).  I have one of 'dem LW tank busters on order, too.

You know, as soon as the Gas "shortage" fades away, I may just have to make the 4 hour trip up north.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#6]
$100 a pop. Paul will probably be ordering a couple for me when we decide if we want a MR/T or LR/T. That's from the Custom shop.

Incidentally I was discussing .499 ammo with Paul and the best accuracy is coming from the 300gr Duty loads. The best  performance on soft tissue is the 385 grain Barnes.
Oh...there's only 1 M3 MR/T, the 3-9x.

Oh...DO NOT shoot .499 nose to CH.

Simon

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
$100 a pop. Paul will probably be ordering a couple for me when we decide if we want a MR/T or LR/T. That's from the Custom shop.

Incidentally I was discussing .499 ammo with Paul and the best accuracy is coming from the 300gr Duty loads. The best  performance on soft tissue is the 385 grain Barnes.
Oh...there's only 1 M3 MR/T, the 3-9x.

Oh...DO NOT shoot .499 nose to CH.

Simon

Simon, thanks.  Dohhhh, I didn't pay attention to the M3 part of the M3 MR/T in your previous posting.

It's seems to me that any .499 projectile would have pretty darn good performance on soft tissue
I'd be curious to see a posting, when appropriate, on the ballistics/accuracy of the various .499 loads.  The website is a bit light with this information, presently.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#8]
The website sucks IMO and the colours are what Darren would call...GHEY.
So does not do justice to the stuff they make. I like simple sites, light on the Java and Flash and all that crap.

Simon
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have been looking a lot at these two and a 1-4 NightForce as well. I have seen and checked all of them out. The S&B and NF only  briefly, a little more time with the Leuplod. If you want the most versitile optic with equal ability for speed and precision, get the S&B. None of the others seem to have the ability to be as quick at short ranges. If all you want is a low power variable that is precise, the M2 will work quite nicely.

Yup, I'm looking for the $2,100 capabilities.  Shit!!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The website sucks IMO and the colours are what Darren would call...GHEY.
So does not do justice to the stuff they make. I like simple sites, light on the Java and Flash and all that crap.

Simon

I t'ink it vas set-up for 'dem guberment types.  Certainly not for the simple gun lovin' consumers like me.

Simple and always up-to-date/current and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#12]
On the + side, you don't need to get a Aimpoint/Eothingy or a ACOG, the combined price of which still doesn't match the S&B!

Of course if you are going to do a course at Blackwater...you'll LOOK the part.

Nahhh.....need to budget a further 200 bucks for the SPR-E as well.

Anyone got which Butler Creek flip-up is used for the eyepiece? it's 1.69 in wide and theres either a 1.65 of 1.7 in cover. The objective is easy....it's the 30mm objective cover. I dislike bikinis.

Simon
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
On the + side, you don't need to get a Aimpoint/Eothingy or a ACOG, the combined price of which still doesn't match the S&B!

Of course if you are going to do a course at Blackwater...you'll LOOK the part.

Nahhh.....need to budget a further 200 bucks for the SPR-E as well.

Anyone got which Butler Creek flip-up is used for the eyepiece? it's 1.69 in wide and theres either a 1.65 of 1.7 in cover. The objective is easy....it's the 30mm objective cover. I dislike bikinis.

Simon

Very true.  Unfortunately, rationalizing the savings is kinda difficult when you have a large Pelican case filled with Aimpoints, Eotech, Acogs, Leupolds, and some shitty stuff for my AKs.  I'll have to evaluate selling some of these.....nah, I'll just save up and get t he S&B.   I hate getting rid of my toys, just prefere to add-on.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top