Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2005 8:10:47 PM EDT
I found a Leupold Gilmore red dot sight for a very good price and am thinking of buying it for one of my AR-15's.  Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with it?  How does it compare with the Aimpoint sights?

Thanks all for any information!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody's used a Leupold Gilmore????
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I haven't used one personally enough to give a strong opinion, but one of our officers bought one for his AR. I wasn't impressed much with the mounting system, it's a proprietary large ring, which seemed awfully flimsy to me. He mounted it on top of his carry handle, & I didn't like how high it sat above the receiver. I couldn't get any kind of cheek weld on the stock with it.....

I helped him zero it, & it worked reasonably well, but I can't comment on how well it will hold zero after extended use, or banging around in the patrol car.

The price was OK, IIRC he paid about $140 for it, but personally, I would have preferred an Aimpoint by a long margin, even a used one....YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

No, Better DOT's available cheaper. They never quite caught on for Bullseye shooting.

They are deceant DOT's and if you are able to get it For < $ 125 go for it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input!  I can get a virtually new one for $80 plus tax.  I've never used a red dot on an AR before and it's a cheap way to see if I find it useful.   I figure I can always mount on a 10-22 for my sons to use if I don't like it.

Thanks again!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top