Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2005 1:04:35 PM EDT
I am buying two of the SEBR's this year (I was going to get three, one for me, and one for each daughter, but I ended up getting them one together).

I am going to outfit one with an Aimpoint.  I'm going to mount it with the ARMS 22M68 Mount, and more than likely put on an ARMS 40A2 BUIS on a Cantilever Extension for co-witness of the BUIS.  Does it sound like I got this one about right?

Now for the other rifle.......

I will likely hunt coyotes (with shots out to 200-250 meters) with this rifle more than anything, so I started looking at optics that offer some magnification, without compromising the "up close and personel" attributes that it was designed for.  Now I can't decide which optic I want.  I've looked at the whole line of Trijicon ACOG's.  The TA31RCO-MR is nice, but it's pretty expensive.  I'd go with just a plain TA31, but I don't like the "donut reticle" for hunting coyotes that far out.  The TA31F is pretty neat looking, but again, pretty high.  I struggled between the TA01 and the TA21R (Accupoint) for a while, but I like the bullet drop compensation in the TA01 better than the post reticle in the TA21R.  I can get a good deal on the TA01 too....it's in the price range I'm looking for.  Anyone got any comments on this optic?  Which mount would work best with it?  I'll probably get a fold down BUIS for it in the future.  Is there a mount that will allow me to drop down to use the BUIS?  

I guess the point of my post is to blow off some steam, think out loud a little, and get some input from people who have used the TA01 and/or the TA21R (especially in a hunting scenario).
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#1]

I'm loosing my mind  

Better tighten it up then.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Mike, I am leaning heavily towards the TA01.  I'll be leaving it on, not taking it on and off.  But I would like a mount that I can see through.  I'd like to eventually put a flip up rear sight on this rifle.  Would the TA51 meet this requirement?  How much is it?

ETA:  How about the Larue Tactical (SPR-E I think)? Do you carry it?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mike, I am leaning heavily towards the TA01.  I'll be leaving it on, not taking it on and off.  But I would like a mount that I can see through.  I'd like to eventually put a flip up rear sight on this rifle.  Would the TA51 meet this requirement?  How much is it?

the acogs have carry handle mounts built which have a channel through them allowing the use of irons if it were to be mounted in the carry handle.

other than that any mount that mounts directly to the flattop would not allow use of irons without removing the optic itself and it you are able to mount the acog that high with whatever mount you find/rig, it would be pointless.

either mount it to the carry handle or get some sort of mount that would allow quick removal if the need for the buis' arise
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't want to push this off-topic, but if you're not set in stone on magnification, you could try an EOTech.

The center dot is small and quite capable out that far with a 50m zero.

Just a thought.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
NO, you are NOT  "LOOSING" your mind.

You are "LOSING" it.

Get that straight.

CJ

I is a coleg grajuat
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't want to push this off-topic, but if you're not set in stone on magnification, you could try an EOTech.

The center dot is small and quite capable out that far with a 50m zero.

Just a thought.

WIZZO

Wizzo, I appreciate the suggestion, and I did consider the EOtech, but I am pretty set on having some magnification.

I will probably go with the TA01 mounted with a TA51.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are looking at the ACOG, I highly recommend Mike from CS Gunworks for your purchase. Great guy, great service, fantastic prices. A reputable authorized dealer that takes care of his customers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Larue cantilever over the ARMS in a month of Sundays. The RCO mount is even sweeter since they improved it. I reckon you could get a BUIS behind it. I chose the Eotech myself. On a Larue of course.

TA01 is a poor investment. The TA31 is a far better solution IMO and if you don't 'donut' then go chevron. Yes, it's more expensive but it's a whole lot more useful with BAC.  Again, I have a TA51 and it sits on the shelf. Larue ACOG mount.

The SPR and SPR-E are for 'normal' scopes.

Alternatives IMO would be :-
IOR Valdada 1.1-4x26mm CQB
IOR Valdada 3x25mm CQB
Leupold 1.5-5x M2 MRT
Nightforce 1.1-4x NXS

You get my drift.

Simon

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Larue cantilever over the ARMS in a month of Sundays. The RCO mount is even sweeter since they improved it. I reckon you could get a BUIS behind it. I chose the Eotech myself. On a Larue of course.

TA01 is a poor investment. The TA31 is a far better solution IMO and if you don't 'donut' then go chevron. Yes, it's more expensive but it's a whole lot more useful with BAC.  Again, I have a TA51 and it sits on the shelf. Larue ACOG mount.

The SPR and SPR-E are for 'normal' scopes.

Alternatives IMO would be :-
IOR Valdada 1.1-4x26mm CQB
IOR Valdada 3x25mm CQB
Leupold 1.5-5x M2 MRT
Nightforce 1.1-4x NXS

You get my drift.

Simon

I appreciate your input.  I'm not really looking for something that would be an investment.  I don't typically get rid of something once I have it.  I am looking for something that will kill coyotes.  I've killed a lot of coyotes, and the reticle in the TA01 looks like it would be very efficient at doing that job.

I am interested in this statement:

This is about the worst option (of all your options you listed) IMHO. The TA01 is ok at best and the TA51 is heavy, big knobs sticking out and doesn't repeat zero.

As well as this one:

Again, I have a TA51 and it sits on the shelf. Larue ACOG mount.

How much does the Larue ACOG usually run?  And what do you think about the GG&G Accucam mount?

Thanks for holding my hand through this.  My mind is a little "tighter" today
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:19:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I won't aanswer for Grant. He sells Larue!

I can't give you a retail price for the ACOG Larue as I didn't pay retail.
Accucam....mmmm....not as good as Larue. Larue adjusts to handle variations on rails AND has a locking tab now so you CANNOT accidentally flip BOTH levers and drop the optic. Accucams seem to have a checkered reception but I haven't run one so I wouldn't know. Yaaahh....I'm a Larue bitch.....

As for the 'investment'....I mean it's a false economy. Yes, they are cheaper but also less capable. If you wanted to save money, you could get a bunch of scopes that would give you that level of perfromace and probably a bit more for less money. If you are going to get an ACOG, get the ones with the features that make them pricey, BAC. TA11 or TA31.

The IORs are very nice, great glass and the CQB is about $600.  The Leupy PRs are great value. The M2 MR/t is real nice too....30mm tube , more features but a little pricier. It gives you an excuse to buy a SPR/SPR-E mount. The Leupy also has BDCs and you can customise them to whatever load you're running for $100  each.

If your kids are shooting the ARs....you might want to look at the Magpul MIAD grip with changeable front and back straps.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

.........snip

The problem with the TA01 is that you don't get the BAC capability (very important for hitting moving targets). Look at the TA31F, TA31A or TA31RCO-M4.

The LT ACOG mount retails at $125 and I have them in stock. I consider it to be the best ACOG mount on the market. www.gandrtactical.com/larue_files/larue_acm.htm

C4

www.laruetactical.com/lt/productImages/ACOG.JPG

But....the thing is, 99% of the time, I can stop a coyote before I take a shot.  I don't think the BAC is the major consideration in a scope for me.  

I know, I know....another guy who doesn't know what he's talking about, and isn't listening to the voice of reason

But I'm looking at the reticles, and thinking about what works for me hunting coyotes, and the TA01 looks like it will work great.  Hell, right now, my main coyote rifle is a Colt AR15 (Stainless 24" bull, flat top etc) with the Springfield Armory 4-16 mil dot scope.  I can ball up a running coyote pretty damn good with it.  

What I am still up in the air about though is the mount.  I don't know if I should drop the jack on something like the Larue, or just get something that will mount the damn thing, and get after it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top