Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2005 4:41:57 AM EDT
Does anybody have an EOtech on their carry handle?
Does that work OK?
Pictures???
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:27:15 AM EDT
[#1]
When I asked, the reply was that the scope would be too high above the bore axis.

I hope that folks with this configuration will respond and tell how they like it.

Does anyone know how much performance will be degraded by placing the Eotech on top of an A2 handle?

I am mainly interesting in plinking and target shooting at 50-150 yards.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:50:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
When I asked, the reply was that the scope would be too high above the bore axis.

I hope that folks with this configuration will respond and tell how they like it.

Does anyone know how much performance will be degraded by placing the Eotech on top of an A2 handle?

I am mainly interesting in plinking and target shooting at 50-150 yards.

I've had a scope on my carry handle for a long tome, works really well, but I don't know if it's too high for an EOtech.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#3]
mine is mounted foward of the carry handle with a Co witness mount. works great.

http://www.wholesalehunter.net/mfgs/EOTech.html?mfgno=9-BSQ-18513
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#4]
WOW!! What a little more research can do for you.....

EOtech mounting options

Should have looked first...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Punani,

I remember seeing the Eotech mounted on the handle, while looking at the Eotech web site.  But then most every where I've looked, the people seem to want the scope low as possible.

There was just some question about it not working well when mounted down near the bore axis.

I definitely would prefer it on top of the handle, but can't visualize the geometry which would prove it to be a bad technique.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I did have another thought about mounting on the handle top.

First, let's assume that the bullet comes out of the barrel, and goes straight, unaffected by gravity.

Moreover, let's say the scope optical axis is perfectly parallel with the rifle bore.

Now to exaggerate wildly, let's put the scope up three feet in the air.

Now, I can see two problems.

1.  You can't put your cheek on the stock while sighting through the optic.

2.  The bullet will impact three feet below what the scope indicates.

You would need to tip the scope down each time, after you determined the distance of a particular target.  That is, the scope line would have to intercept the barrel line, right where the target was located.

The situation would improve as you lowered the scope down toward the barrel.

I apologize for not knowing the formal name for this condition.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I definitely would prefer it on top of the handle, but can't visualize the geometry which would prove it to be a bad technique.

Putting it on top of the carry handle means you'll need a chin weld instead of a cheek weld.  It's not a bad option if you have to shoot the rifle with a gas mask on.

However putting the sight so high up gives a poor ballistic trajectory as the sight will be around 4" off the bore.  Meaning at BEST you're going to have a +/-4" trajectory.  This works ok if you're shooting COM at human targets - but it's pretty pi$$-poor when plinking or shooting smaller varmints.

Mounting it over the handguards (as shown above) allows for a much flatter trajectory - allowing you to hit soda cans at any distance from muzzle to 220y with the same COM aiming point.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, Forest.  Very well explained.

Bill
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top