Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 1:46:05 AM EDT
I'm thinking about putting an Aimpoint ML3 on my A2 midlength.  (yeah I know shoulda bought a flat top) I really prefer irons but I'd like to have the dot for low light situations.  Most of the time I wouldn't have the scope mounted at all.  Could I count on a carry handle mount to be removed and replaced and keep zero?  I really only need it to be good for minute-of-bad-guy at 50 yards or less.  

I guess my question really is, are carry handle mounts a little sloppy, or a lot sloppy?

Thanks for any help.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:07:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Harry,

I'm watching your thread because I'm also curious.  I have don't have a removable carry handle but am thinking of getting a CMP upper with one.

Assuming you have the carry handle with the upper; have you tried any tests yourself?  I think I would try that, then you would know for sure with your equipment.  I'd be curious of your results.
I'd try firing a 5 shot group, remove, reinstall, and repeat for a box or two of ammo.  

I can tell you I have a new ARM 40a2 buis that I just installed.  I have issues with that because the point of impact changes when I roll the sight from small to large aperature.  It moves 4.5 inches at 50 yards!

Tom
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:40:03 AM EDT
[#2]

The answer to your question is that a quality gooseneck mount will hold zero fine.  I had one that I got from Fulton Armory that worked great.  The beauty of the gooseneck mount is that it cowitnesses with your irons.  If your irons are zeroed you should be able to zero the AImpoint without firing a shot.  Just adjust the dot until it sits on top of the front site post.  You could fire a few test rounds but it should be zeroed.  To check zero just remount and the dot should be back on top of your front site.

One more word of warning...go ahead and give in to the fact that once you do some shooting with the Aimpoint you'll forget all about your irons.  No one can resist the power, speed and ease of use of an AImpoint.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top