Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 6:37:36 PM EDT
I want to put the A.r.m.s. mount and an aimpoint on top of this raised RRA upper.Will this be too high? Does anyone have a pic? Any Advice?

This Mount

This Gun
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you will be at ok hieght by removing the offset spacer between the #17 and the ring. You will need shorter screws. It might not co-witness.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Im not sure what you mean co-witness. I used an aimpoint outher day and the front sight was kinda in the way but I dont like flip up sights. Any input would be great.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I better option would be to replace the flip sight with a Larue fixed BUIS or chopped carry handle--those RRA tactical mounts have a bad reputation here. Cowitnessing is being able to use your irons through the optic.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
You will not cowitness.

The extra height may be comfortable for you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Does someone have pics? I have looked with no luck.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#6]
No pics? Im the only one that might like the extra height? Some one tell me why I don't (do) want to do this?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the same set up on mine, but I use a tri-power instead of the aimpoint.  I'v had NO problems with height.  I'll be glad to send a pic later.  

dafuzz1405
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:30:15 PM EDT
[#8]
with the rra tactical carry handle you will have to use the aimpoint x mount in-order to co-witness

you could use the arms mount but without the spacer would probably be preferred. with the sapacer it would put the optic really high.

ditch the tactical carry handle and buy a quality mount and buis.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#10]
ditch the tactical carry handle and buy a quality mount and buis.

I think I'm going this way.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#11]
How about an ARMS 40? The small one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Personally, I would never use the tactical carrying handle.  It limits your versatility, serves no real significant benefit, and I just don't like it aesthetically.  However, if you are going to use it, then I would just ditch the cantilever spacer and just use the ARMS #17 mount.  Despite not using the spacer, I'm still not certain if the setup would co-witness correctly.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, that's what I meant.  he
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I want to put the A.r.m.s. mount and an aimpoint on top of this raised RRA upper.Will this be too high? Does anyone have a pic? Any Advice?

This Mount
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/bs101177/ARARMSMount.jpg

This Gun
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/bs101177/RRAM4.gif

Hi! That's my rifle in the top picture, seen in it's current config. It started life as an RRA Entry Tactical just like yours, but has seen some changes like the 11.5" barrel. First thing I did with the Entry Tactical was ditch the "tactical" carry handle. I replaced it with an ARMS #40 and the Aimpoint. I later got the Troy BUIS for no particular reason other than the slimmer profile. The mount is #22M68 with forward extension spacer. Like others have pointed out, if you want to use this mount with the Aimpoint, a tactical carry handle or a raised UTE upper will not work with it.

My advice is to let the tactical carry handle go and replace it completely. You don't need it. You could always cut it down to make a fixed BUIS, but I'm not sure how it would hold zero without modifying the retention system too.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top