Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2005 10:03:26 AM EDT
A while back I had a friend who was selling an AR because he needed some money and I snapped it up for a good price.  I went and shot it but I haven't really played with it much since I only had access to a short range and the rediculous scope made it no fun.  Well recently I was told I could go shooting on my girlfriend's family property and pulled out this AR.  It shoots really well but I find I don't like where the scope is mounted at all.  Take a look.

http://wurm.ugl.wayne.edu/pics/ar/before.jpg

The rifle is a DPMS Panther Bull 24 Special with fluted 24" 1:8 twist barrel, JP trigger, Harris bipod and Burris Signature 6x-24x scope with Burris rings.  It shoots really nice but I usually shoot my my Bushmaster M4 style AR with iron sights and like to shoot nose to charging handle.  Obviously with the setup above that is not possible.  Also, the scope is just too high.  I took it off and played around and found that I can see through the scope with my nose to the charging handle when it is mounted many inches forward.

http://wurm.ugl.wayne.edu/pics/ar/forward.jpg

I also find that if I take the riser off and mount the scope then I can get a good cheek weld.  Otherwise, with the riser I have to move my head around till I find the sweet spot.  It does fit mounted without the riser but it is a tight fit.

http://wurm.ugl.wayne.edu/pics/ar/low.jpg

So what do I do?  I want the scope mounted nice and low yet I need it mounted further forward.  Do I just get a rail extender like the one YHM makes and then possibly a different stock with adjustable cheek piece or maybe just some add on piece?  Do I replace the free float handguard with a railed one so I can mount the scope directly to that?  I don't know what all my options are.  I am just a lowly iron shooter until now.  What would you do?  I don't mind spending some money to do things right but I don't want to spend a ton either.  I also don't know anyone in the area to replace the handguards if it needs it.
Help!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
La Rue SPR Mount

Walli

+1
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking the same thing about the Larue SPR.  It just doesn't look like it would put the scope forward far enough.  Anybody know how far the EER version moves the scope forward?  I can measure things out and see if it would work.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#7]
REPEAT AFTER ME:

FIXED RING LOCATIONS SUCK!  Too many times I have been unable to mount glass using mounts with fixed rings.  Sure, on scopes that just happen to fit they are sweet.

Extended rails like Arms and GG&G allow positioning the rings where you need them.  Most rail adapters raise the mounting surface enough to allow normal rifle rings to be used.  Leupold High rings an a GG&G adapter provide a LOS thru the optic about 1.4 to 1.5 above the rail, close to ideal.

Paladin

Oh my!  No QD.  He never went to mall ninja school...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#8]
IIRC, there's an arms #36S EX (hahaha) extension in the EE.  I don't think it would look out of place on that rifle, with the long tube and barrel.  

Otherwise, the EX would that Mike mentioned would work as well.  The YHM riser/extender will work as well, but definitely want the 7" with that scope.  

Nice rifle, btw.  

What kind of scope is it?  By "ridiculous", are you talking about the lenght/placement on the rail?

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top