Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2005 7:05:01 PM EDT
What does it mean to have the reticle in the first or second plane?  What are the pros and cons of each?

TIA
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#1]
FFP grows or shrinks with magnification.

SFP stays the same size as the view zooms in our out.

FFP stays the same realtive to the background.  SFP is changing size relative to background.

FFP allows drop marks, mils etc to be able to be used at any magnification.  It makes change in POI due to changing magnification impossible.  SFP has the smallest aiming point when zoomed in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Zak_Smith did an awesome write up about this a while back.  I used to have it saved but can't find it now.  Maybe he will come along and link it.  Anyway, if you can get a FFP in the model scope you want that's what I would get.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know whether a leupy vx-II 2x7 has a FFP or SFP reticle? thanks,
Ryan
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Anyone know whether a leupy vx-II 2x7 has a FFP or SFP reticle? thanks,
Ryan

SFP.

Usually only high end scopes will have the FFP and be more expensive.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#5]
US Optics website has a good tutorial.  

2nd plane reticules still allow ranging, but any ranging reticule is calibrated at a single power within the power range, so you typically can't zoom in at max power and range -- normally they are calibrated at a mid-power setting.  

If varmint hunting or going after very samm targets, 2nd plane reticules have advantages since the cross hairs don't cover as much of the target.  

For human sized targets out to reasonable distances, 1st plane reticules have advantages, but they tend to be costlier.  I'm not sure if it costs any more to mfg them, but typically they are offered in only European or high-end US manufactured tactical scope lines, and you'll pay along the way (but you also get better glass, better shock protection, etc., so it's not a given that the cost delta is driven by only the reticule/magnifier design).
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
so you typically can't zoom in at max power and range -- normally they are calibrated at a mid-power setting.  

Actually a lot of scopes are calibrated to range at the max power.  At least Loopy's and NF are.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Premier Reticles in Virginia modifies variable Leupold scopes to have the Gen 2 Mildot FFP...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Leupy 6.5x20 LR M1 with the Premier Gen II mil dot (FFP).  I find it great at 20x as the reticle is not overly large.  However, heat perturbance sometimes doesn't allow me to run at 20X.  I actually find the reticle gets a little too fine at anything below 10X.  Would I get another FFP scope... sure.  But, it's just something to consider.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What does it mean to have the reticle in the first or second plane?  

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=239890
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What does it mean to have the reticle in the first or second plane?  What are the pros and cons of each?

TIA

Here is a real simple one.

in an FFP scope the retical is placed in front of the magnifying lenses in the scope. In a SFP the retical is behind the magnifying lenses, the results are as pretty much everyone else said.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top