Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2005 7:01:11 AM EDT
Howdy all.  I have a couple of scopes that had the dubious honor of surviving a recent house fire.  

The safe that they were in, on guns, even an AR or two, was in the heart of the fire.  And I must say, for a stamped-steel "Walmart" type locker/safe, I think my toys survived as well as they could have though the pistols on the top shelf suffered the most heat damage.  Man, you should see what that kind of heat does to plastic grips!  Thank God my Glock and Airweight J-frame weren't in there as I'm sure they would've been DOA.

Anyway, the scopes got a serious dose of "goo" on their lenses and I'm having a tough time finding something with shich to clean them off, if that is at all possible.  Any thoughts as how to best clean the lenses, and with what products?

Thanks in advance.

Eric
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Lens cleaner?
I can't think of anything stronger that won't harm the coatings on the lenses.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, me either.  I think the goo may be permanently stuck to the lens & coatings, so they may be fooked.  

Oh well, time to buy new scopes.  The good news is that the same amount of money will buy me "more" scope today than it did way back then.

Thanks,
Eric
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Eric,

Sorry about the fire.

This prompeted me to remind everyone to update their insurance on their firearms related stuff. You are Very, Very limited on just a homeowners policy. You need a separeate rider to cover your firearms and related articles "properly"....and you'd be surpirsed how much you have when you have to itemize. Always insure for the "replacement Value". (No I'm not an insurance agent)

My itemized list came up to $20,000, and I would have sworn that it couldn't have been more than $10,000. You'll want to include not just guns, but mag. collections, holster, pouches, scopes, mounts, cases, spotting scopes, reloading machines, components, etc.

Hope this saves someone some money in the event of a disaster.

Tack
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top