Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2005 4:57:41 PM EDT
Please keep in mind that the last rifle I had to zero was an m16a1 back in 1985 and I had help from a Drill Sgt.
    I just bought a BushMaster M4A3 14.5" Barrel and was surprised to find it shot 9" high at 50 meters using Winchester 5.56 Q3131A ammo on initial firing. What is the experiance of other shooters here: are new rifles usually this far off?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got one too about a week ago and had the same problem, shot about 6" high. Just raise the front sight post a bit and it will straighten out. It tells you in the manual how many clicks equals how much the point of impact will move. I cant remember what the numbers are off the top of my head but just scan through it and you will  come across it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Please keep in mind that the last rifle I had to zero was an m16a1 back in 1985 and I had help from a Drill Sgt.
    I just bought a BushMaster M4A3 14.5" Barrel and was surprised to find it shot 9" high at 50 meters using Winchester 5.56 Q3131A ammo on initial firing. What is the experiance of other shooters here: are new rifles usually this far off?

Turn to page #64 in your Bushmaster Catalog, look in the upper left hand corner and order the taller front sight post part # (9349056-M) $4.95.....as the removable carry handles of the A3 (flat-top) configuration cause the "A3 Removable Carry-Handle/Rear Sight ASSY" to sit .040 higher than the A1/A2 type carbines/rifles....some folks make do/get away with running their stock supplied front sight post almost all the way up till they are nearing "Popping out of the Threaded Front Sight Post Hole" but I highlt recommend against doing so...spend the $4.95 and get the proper height .040" taller front sight post.

L8R, Bill.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]
interesting...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. I'll be spending $5.00 dollars tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're shooting that high at 50yds and try to zero, your front site will look like this by the time you're hitting POA.

You need the taller front site......just like me.

WIZZO

EDIT: Bad pic, camera focused on the wrong thing, but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I need the .40 taller site post as well. My rifle shot about 20" high out of the box and my site post looked just like Wizzo's when I finally got it zeroed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Man Stick has really got you criticising your pics doesn't he?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Man Stick has really got you criticising your pics doesn't he?

Damn him...........

Course this was taken back in January of February, so I hadn't gotten around to putting much.....oh, what's the word........effort into taking pics.

Then he goes and sends me tips and has me only taking pics outside on cloudy days or inside my windows........and I wonder why the damn camera always needs batteries

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I spent like 15 minutes taking a pic of my FH the other day trying to get the focus right so he wouldn't say it made his eyes hurt
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey guys, a quick comment.  I got my new AR-15 back in January and mine also shot high.  I called Bushmaster and they sent me for free the taller front sight because I complained that they knew that the gun would shoot high with the A3 handle.
I put in the new front sight and at 100 yds I am finally on but the front sight is still screwed out way too far to the point that it might move between shoots.
I would like to get a front post that is even higher so that the sight is screwed in to the point of being in tight and solid.
Any thoughts on where I can get an even taller sight???
Thank you all in advance.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:19:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Ford_tech....$5.00 my ass.  Remember BM is notorious for raping you in shipping!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:33:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Bump!

I would really like to know how to fix my problem.  After reading other forum comments there are many of us with the same complaint.

Please Help Us.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hey guys, a quick comment.  I got my new AR-15 back in January and mine also shot high.  I called Bushmaster and they sent me for free the taller front sight because I complained that they knew that the gun would shoot high with the A3 handle.
I put in the new front sight and at 100 yds I am finally on but the front sight is still screwed out way too far to the point that it might move between shoots.
I would like to get a front post that is even higher so that the sight is screwed in to the point of being in tight and solid.
Any thoughts on where I can get an even taller sight???
Thank you all in advance.

If the taller sight still is much to short you have a problem beyond the sight post. Send you're upper back to Bushy and have them inspect it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ford_tech....$5.00 my ass.  Remember BM is notorious for raping you in shipping!

More like $13.50 after shipping Just call Bushy and tell them of the problem. They will send it to you for free. They offered to send me one but I had already gotten one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#15]
You are right. Why should I pay to repair a problem they should have corrected at the factory. I'll let you know the outcome of the phone call tommorrow. BushMaster's customer service # 1-800-883-6229
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I am sure Bushy will send one to you with no hassle at all. They have been awesome to deal with every time I have had to. They have done anything to make the problem right. From replacing a lower I was unhappy with to a Hogue grip that was hitting the safety selector.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#17]
damn i thought i was just a idiot. i have the front post on my bushy tell its all the way out . ill be giving them a call tomorrow for sure. thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#18]
My biddy had the same problem just recently with his.  He was still an inch and a half high with his front sight post almost completely screwed out.  He called Bushy and they are sending him a longer fronst sight post.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I called BushMaster customer support and talked to Matt. He told me the .040 sight was for the upper BushMaster receiver when used on a Colt lower and wouldn't fix my problem.hinking.gif He transferred me to Leon, who was very helpful, and told me to send them the rifle for repair. I asked them to pay for the shipping and they agreed. I am now waiting for them to e-mail the UPS shipping tag.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I just called them 2 days ago with the same problem on my brand new M4A3. They already had to send me the screw for the read sight adjustment that they "forgot" to put in at the factory, and now they are sending a taller sight post. I will probably just go ahead and send the upper back and get it done right.

Seems to me they need to work on quality control. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I just got mine about 2-3 weeks ago and still haven't gotten out to the range yet.  I am purchasing a Trijicon TA31 to probably mount on the rail, but haven't decided.  I would like to go on the handle with it and get a delta cheek plate.  Hopefully I won't have this issue, but I fear I will.  It looks like I may be calling them too for a taller front post.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I just called them 2 days ago with the same problem on my brand new M4A3. They already had to send me the screw for the read sight adjustment that they "forgot" to put in at the factory, and now they are sending a taller sight post. I will probably just go ahead and send the upper back and get it done right.

Seems to me they need to work on quality control.

Your going to send an upper back to swap a sight post and put a screw in? I think you could probably handle it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah... that's what I'm gonna do. I have a real hard time with those allen wrenches h.gif

I'll probably have to send it back, b/c I don't know if a taller post will take care of the problem or not.  I have heard about other M4's that  have had barrel problems that wouldn't allow it to zero. I just want to try what I can 1st before sending it away for a couple weeks.   Thanks for the vote of confidence though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Just got back from the range and mine was about 3-4" high at 50 yards with 55 grain FMJ rounds.  I was just aiming about 1mm below my target and i was hitting an aluminum can that was horizontal.  I also don't have a gun rest to "correctly" sight it in, but I will be buying one.  
Since I have a TA31 coming I will be using that anyway instead of irons.  I only fired around 150 rounds since I was shooting other stuff too, and the gun was flawless.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I called BushMaster customer support and talked to Matt. He told me the .040 sight was for the upper BushMaster receiver when used on a Colt lower and wouldn't fix my problem. He transferred me to Leon, who was very helpful, and told me to send them the rifle for repair. I asked them to pay for the shipping and they agreed. I am now waiting for them to e-mail the UPS shipping tag.

That is BS. You are sending the rifle back for nothing. They will probably swap the sight post and ship it back to you. Why in the hell would it matter what lower you were using? They are all the same. That is officially one of the stupidest things I have heard. Bushy uses the same front sight base on all of it's rifles. That is why we have this problem. An A3 w/ a removable carry handle either needs the proper F marked FSB or the taller sight post. If you haven't sent it back call Leon and tell him you would rather just give the post a try before sending the rifle back. I guarantee he will send you one. He is a good guy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I completly agree that the lower shouldn't matter, the sighting is done with the upper portion only. I searched BushMaster's site and found, (what I believe), Matt was talking about:

Article # 153  Will the Bushmaster V-Match upper receiver accept the Colt Detachable carry handle? Answer Our V-Match (flattop) receivers will accept the Colt carry handles - however, the Colt barrel as installed on their upper has a front sight that is about .040" higher than mil-spec. This can cause an elevation problem when using mis-matched parts. The Colt handle will only work with a Colt match barrel. The Carry Handle that we are introducing will work with anyone's barrels (except the Colt Match barrel). Call us at 1-800-998-SWAT to order the new Bushmaster Carry Handle.

Matt may have said "lower" but ment to say "handle", or Matt said "handle" and I heard "lower". Page 64 of the BushMaster catalog for sight # 9349056-m even states it is for the Colt removable handle. This makes me think that he was referring to this.

YELLOWV, Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it. What I posted above is just to be fair to Matt in case I had previously misquoted him. I have not shipped the rifle yet so I will call Leon on Monday and ask him to ship the taller sight post and try that first.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#27]
No problem. What it says in Bushy's catalog is that you will need the longer sight post if you use a Colt handle on your Bushy. This is more BS since Colt and Bushy use the same exact handles. I love Bushy and have been totally pleased with their service but their catalog runs rampant with bullshit. I'm sure Leon will send you the post and your problem will be solved just as mine and many others were.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#28]
tag
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top