Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 2:02:34 PM EDT
Right now I have my EOtech mounted directly on my receiver with an ARMS#40 BUIS behind it. I was thinking of getting a bolt action for some magnified shooting, but then thought "Why not just get more functionality out of my (much more fun) AR-15".

My plan was to get the GG&G accucam so I could easily release my EOtech and swap it for a 3x9 scope of some kind (Nikon or Leupold likely) that is also on a quick-release mount like the LaRue SPR. However my sticking point is that my ARMS#40 BUIS is not quick-release and I'm not sure if the LaRue would put the scope high enough to clear it. Can anyone offer firsthand experience on if the LaRue can clear the #40? If not, is there a mount out there that does, or am I just barking up the wrong tree with this whole plan?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply CS.

So I'm assuming the lower part of the #40 rests under the rear lens of the scope and the taller part of the #40 partially encroaches into your view? I don't mind if it's only in, say, the bottom 1/4 of the view or less, but if it's just barely under the crosshairs, that'd be a bit annoying. Anyone have any pics of this scope/BUIS combo in action?

I should say I was thinking of a 3x9x40mm scope, but would a 3x9x33mm scope fit better? Or does that more refer to the size of the objective lens? (I'm a bit of a scope newbie).
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Creeper, the last part to the scope, as in 3x9x40 does indeed refer to the objective...the eye could be any size.  

I have a LaRue EER mount with an Accupoint.  The EER pushes the scope far enough forward to *barely* clear the front of the 40L I have on that rifle, so that all of the eye is forward of any part of the 40L.  Based on that, I don't know that a longer scope, coupled with a LaRue SPR mount, would work the same way....I dont' think it'll get the scope far enough forward.  

I know that ARMS #22 high rings will clear a reg ARMS 40 with a Simmons Aetec, which has a fairly big eye, with no trouble.  Check out how high the LaRue Classic High rings are...that might solve your problem.  

Another, much cheaper option, is to grab yourself a Yankee Hill riser/extender...$35.  That will raise the scope and allow you to move it forard as well, taking the BUIS out of the equation, and use medium height rings to boot.  They have a 5" and a 7".  I would recommend the 7", just in case you need to spread the rings out on the scope more.  You can use 2 of the YHM thumb screws to secure it...if you tighten those down tight with a quarter, they'll be tight enough to secure the mount, but you'll be able to take it off fairly easily when you want to go back to your Eotech.  

Now, I have no idea how "repeatable" the above setup is...I have it a on a lightweight carbine build, but I've only tried the red dot on that rifle so far.  When I get to the outdoor range at some point, I can give you a much better idea how this works in reality.  

check out the pix in this thread...especially the one by Lost.  
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=246861
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.grtactical.com/images/archive/LT/LT%20EER%20SPR.JPG

Hmmm I found this image on Grant's site. That looks like it'd be in front of my BUIS easily. Especially considering that the eyepiece of that Trijicon is extra long. The #40 is a bit taller than the BUIS in that picture, but I don't think it would occupy much of the view if any.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#5]
That's the EER..it throws the scope further forward than the SPR.  Check w/ Grant or Mike at CS to make sure it's not gonna be TOO far forward.  I know that's really designed for scopes with a lot of eye relief.  

I don't have mine that far forward in the mount..I left about 1/4" inch between the mount and the spot where the adjustments are, and it *barely*clears the sight.  I have a rail mounted YHM front flip up, so I dont' want to go any further because of that, either.  

I just took a quick peak at my setup...the eye will NOT clear the highest portion of the 40L if I had to move the scope back.  Even a slightly smaller eye will not clear it.  

Part of this is gonna depend on the scope, really.  

Here's what I'm doing on my lightweight...I cobbled the pieces together, but you get the idea of how the YHM riser/extender works.  

I can undo those thumbscrews with a quarter, and have the holosight back on via another thumbscrew, in about 30 seconds.  IF I have a quarter hehehe.  

Sure, LaRue mounts would really be cool here, one for the scope and one for the Holosight, but I don't have the $400  for that right now.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:54:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank's Fenian, that looks good. I think I might go with the LaRue myself and this nikon: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=755253

I think I'm gonna get the fancy mounts now, but I'll wait to get a fancier optic when I'm wealthier.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:22:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Why are you going at the problem backwards? Upgrade the ARMS 40 with a Troy and save yourself a lot of headaches.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thank's Fenian, that looks good. I think I might go with the LaRue myself and this nikon: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=755253

I think I'm gonna get the fancy mounts now, but I'll wait to get a fancier optic when I'm wealthier.

That Nikon is nothing to sneeze at...I've got a Buckmaster that I really like, and the Monarchs are a step up from that.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why are you going at the problem backwards? Upgrade the ARMS 40 with a Troy and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Ya I've considered that too. I guess I was kinda shortsighted when picking my BUIS (it works great for my EOtech, but not with this new setup I have in mind).

Well I managed to get 90% of my money back on the EE selling my carry handle to buy the ARMS... guess I can do it again with the ARMS to buy the Troy if it comes to that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top