Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2005 2:20:55 PM EDT
My ACOG's not here yet, the rifle's locked up in the arms room, bot I'm looking at a rail bracket for my 14 thinking "Hmmmm, I wonder if it will work?"

So has anyone tried it?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]
How does that compare elevationwise with the standard USGI rail-grabber for the 14 that I don't have a picture of?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:20:19 AM EDT
[#4]
The PVS- 14 mounted on the USGI mount is 1.62 inches from center to rail.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My ACOG's not here yet, the rifle's locked up in the arms room, bot I'm looking at a rail bracket for my 14 thinking "Hmmmm, I wonder if it will work?"

So has anyone tried it?

Yes, it will work, but keep in mind it is an interim solution... You have two options: mount the PVS-14 on the RAS in front of your zeroed ACOG, or move the ACOG forward and mount the PVS-14 behind it.

If you mount the PVS-14 forward/in front of your ACOG, the ACOG is going to magnify the viewing surface of the tube four times (4x), i.e. your tube resolution will be one-fourth of normal, meaning your 64 lp/mm (or whatever you have) tube will become a 16 lp/mm tube.

Also, because the optical train in the PVS-14 focuses by rotating, it is prone to distortion. That is, if you focus the lenses of the optic you may experience point of aim/point of impact shift...

If you move the ACOG forward a few notches and mount the PVS-14 behind it, you will not have the resolution issue, but keep in mind that your ACOG's zero will shift, and be aware of tube burns from the tritium in the ACOG (depending on which one you use; some are not as bad as others).

Keep in mind that in both options your field of view is going to limited/affected by the night vision device.

Hope this helps,
Clint
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:16:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to everyone.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top