Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2005 10:04:21 AM EDT
Subject line says it all.  Does the Troy BUIS use a standard AK front sight post?

-Anthony
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

-Anthony
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They appear to from my side by side look - I know it needs a AK tool to adjust (says the guy who found out after he bought one...)

Thats how I found out....when I looked at it after unwrapping it. And then the next day, when I took it to class....no one had a tool. A military guy there had the same problem. Luckily we had Aimpoints with us.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They appear to from my side by side look - I know it needs a AK tool to adjust (says the guy who found out after he bought one...)

Thats how I found out....when I looked at it after unwrapping it. And then the next day, when I took it to class....no one had a tool. A military guy there had the same problem. Luckily we had Aimpoints with us.

why is that?  Seems kinda weird when it's for an AR, why not use an AR style design??
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
why is that?  Seems kinda weird when it's for an AR, why not use an AR style design??

That's the question of the day, and one of the ONLY reasons I haven't bought a Troy BUIS yet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Simple awnser;

AK tools are availble around the world.  (M16/M4 tools are not !)

It can be adjusted with a crushed casing (found that out the hard way).

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Simple awnser;

AK tools are availble around the world.  (M16/M4 tools are not !)

It can be adjusted with a crushed casing (found that out the hard way).

Dude, are you trying to say that the tip of a bullet is a less common tool than an AK sight tool?

-Anthony
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you ever tried adjusting a standard front sight with a bullet tip.  Not the easiest of task.  Much easeier to use a "Free Spinning" wheel, with a AK tool or a crushed casing.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Have you ever tried adjusting a standard front sight with a bullet tip.  Not the easiest of task.

Yes, I have.  I fact, I don't have the foggiest idea where the sight adjustment tool I bought years ago might be at the moment.  Using a round is far from difficult, and is by far the most field expedient method of adjusting sights I can think of (except using Kentucky windage).  No digging around in a kit looking for a tool, no crushing range trash, etc...

I guess I just don't understand the reverse engineering justification for Troy using an AK post.

-Anthony
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I should also add that the Troy is currently at the top of my list for a flip up front BUIS.  My plan is to buy a couple of standard AK posts and reduce the width to my liking.  Having a standard AR post would make this simple since I'd be able to buy any of the numerous match width posts on the market.

-Anthony
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Grant what kind of tool do you have I have tried one of the blue AK tools and it sheered the inside of it right out on my Troy front sight.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:15:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top