Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2005 3:29:54 PM EDT
I was just wondering if the ARMS 40 A2 or 40 L are considered sturdy enough to act as the primary sights for everyday range/field use or should I just consider a conventional carry handle.  I am near the point of picking up a STAG upper with one of the above attached; unfortunately, the money I was going to use on an EOTECH has since been redirected to getting motorcycle tires, so it will be at least 6 months before I get the EOTECH.  I don't want the rifle to be a closet queen until then and with deer season right around the corner, thought I might give it a try in the woods.  Can I expect the ARMS units to be readily serviceable as the primary sights or should I just get a carry handle now and then worry about the folders later?  Can they be expected to hold a decent zero in normal/field use (i.e. less than 200 yards)?  I know this might sound silly, especially since they are BUIS, but in that mode, I envision them as a 'use once in a while, when absolutely nothing else is working' sight instead of a 'always at the ready, super sturdy when unlatched' sight.  Please set me straight on what I can expect with either of the above.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used a Troy deployed 24/7 as an iron for months and its as rugged as any fixed sight... even without locktite.  I could not say the same for the 40L that was on there before it.  However with locktite both should be fine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I see no reason at all why you couldn't use a flat top with what are considered BUIS as your only sighting system. And, I don't think you would be giving up a damn thing by doing so.
You will see, if you buy a good quality sight, it will do anything an A1 type rear sight will do. Although I don't think they are as rugged as a carry handle, I think that with any consideration on your part, it wouldn't be a problem. And you can always fold the sight down when not actually using the rifle to minimize the chance of damaging it, but again, this is probably overkill.
I have thought about taking a carbine class with just my BUIS just for something different.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree, I would have no problems using my ARMS 40 as a Primary if that's all I had. if Installed correctly and zeroed in, and you do your part, you will be good to go.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:28:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses, guys; your feedback has really eased my mind.  Now to decide between the 40 A2 and the 40 L - time to pull up the SEARCH button  Thanks again..
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I used the KAC 300M as my primary for a week long field problem once, it was fine as well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the Troy rear on my superlight rifle, to replace the heavy carry handle.

It's even lighter now..he
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top