Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2005 2:21:26 PM EDT
Anyone have or used an armson oeg sight? http://armson1.site.yahoo.net/arbirsig.html

Are they decent?

I'm wondering how the two eyes open thing works out.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Good for when it first became available in early 80's for a collimator type, quick reaction sight (cutting edge then). What happens is that with both eyes open your mind superimposes both views together  to place a dot on the target (strong eye looking thru tube where all you will see is a tritium powered red dot on a black background/ weak eye seeing unobstructed target/ background ).  Still viable but not as efficient as what is offered today ( Aimpoints, EOTechs, ect...).

Both eyes open is the way to go anyway. You are more aware of your surroundings, pick up threats more quickly and are able to react to a changing dynamic situation more efficiently. Aimpoints, EOTechs are designed with every intent to be used with both eyes open as are the ACOGs to exploit the BAC (as was done with low/medium mag scopes well before the ACOGS where manufactured).
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Over-simplified explanation:

If shooting with your right eye lined up with the OEG:

Left eye open and right eye closed, you see this:

Right eye open and left eye closed, you see this:

Both eyes open, your brain "sees" this:

4 MOA dot adjustable for windage and elevation.  Light-gathering fiber optic encased in impact-resistant polycarbonate housing.  The brighter the external conditions, the brighter the dot becomes.  Powered by tritium at night.  In the 1980s they were the cat's-ass.  

You can get the same effect from looking at an Aimpoint with the front cover closed.  Keep both eyes open.

The tritium has a half-life of 12.5 years, and I just sent three back to Trijicon this spring to have the tritium lamps and windage/elevation screws replaced.  $35 each.  They freaked out that one of them was in the 4xxserial number range.  If I found another "old-style" I would buy it and put it on one of my retro-rifles.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION/PENDING PAPERWORK

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the pix uxb. Do you find it's hard to keep your eyes focused properly?

I'm looking to get a red dot and i'd like to stay around $200. I'm looking at the burris extreme tactical and then i found the armson and it looks interesting, though a bit dated.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#4]
No problem focusing at all.  Just look at your target and focus on that.  The dot will already be in focus.  I see the new style that fits the carry handle (AR04) and has the metal reinforcements around the polycarbonate tip going new on eBay for $125 and up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one on my SHTF gun, mounted on the carry handle.  No batteries to run dead and no electronics to get fried, very sturdy.  That said, it isn't as precise as an aimpoint and I find that I need to use my irons past 100 yards.  You can't hold it on a target for long periods, it works best for snap shoots.  I have run the same CQB drills with an Armson and an Aimpoint and the groups are usually larger with the Armson but of course YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#6]
One thing to keep in mind on an OEG, it is user specific, meaning that once sighted in for you it will be rare for it to hit point of aim for another user.

I sold mine off and somewhat regret that, they are old school but rugged and dependable, even if the tritium goes dead these will light up in a room with a 60 watt lamp sufficient for use.

Jeff
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top