Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2005 9:11:16 PM EDT
OK so a while back I had a thread on what gun to get, I decided on 2. one is a remington 700 police in .308 this gun cost me about $750 what brand of scope should i put on? what reticle should i be getting? never had a scope or bolt gun help!! what should I absolutely not get?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#1]
If money is not an issue, get an ACOG.

There are a lot of questions though as what are you're intentions for the gun, therefore, there are many different models available, so you'll need to provide as much information as to what you plan on using it for.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
the super sniper scope looks toooooo natural on that weapon. good value for the money, for under 500.00 including a great set of rings.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If money is not an issue, get an ACOG.

There are a lot of questions though as what are you're intentions for the gun, therefore, there are many different models available, so you'll need to provide as much information as to what you plan on using it for.

I thought the acog was more for a "battle" rifle. This is a long range rifle. I will be using this mostly for shooting from 100 - 800 yards... if i get good enough to hit that far out. I might use it for hunting. I want the scope to be good as far as being able to hit what I need to hit. I would feel a bit odd spending more on the scope than the gun its self... but maybe this gun isnt that good of a gun? so i guess my price limit is $700. essentially I want a scope that would be good for the purpose of this weapon which is urban sniping. ( I have no plans on shooting the gun at people in an urban area or any area ) I just think I would enjoy really learning how to use this weapon as it is intended to be used.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
the super sniper scope looks toooooo natural on that weapon. good value for the money, for under 500.00 including a great set of rings.

What is this scope you speak of?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

yes. its a good combo.  my range buddy has the 700 remington with teh super sniper scope, and he's deadly with it!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes. its a good combo.  my range buddy has the 700 remington with teh super sniper scope, and he's deadly with it!

i think you guys are playing a trick on me, thats just mean I really dont know anything about long range shooting I have always lived in a big city and been a hand gun guy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.gunblast.com/SWFA_Super_Sniper.htm

LOL!!! I thought you guys were messin with me
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#9]
ok now what power should I get ??? 10, 16 ,20 ??  Is it really a good idea to have a fixed power scope??    
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#10]
If you plan to shoot out to 800 yds, I would get something in 15x range. Nothing wrong with a veri-power so you don't always need a bench or prone position. Also, it seems about right to spend as much on optics as the gun. IMO
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#11]
There are a LOT of good quality variables you could get for that kind of money...in a 1" tube.  

The super sniper is a great scope for $300, and it is a 30mm tube...which is important for what you *might* be doing.  The problem with a fixed power scope is that if you get a high X one for 800 yards, say 16 to 20x, it's really tough to shoot it at 100 yards.  I wouldn't go any higher than 10x in a fixed, but that's just me.  

At 800 yards you pretty much have to have  a 30mm tube to get enough elevation adjustment...now that will cut down on what's available, since 30mm scopes tend to be a whole lot more expensive than 1" tube scopes.  You'd be hard pressed to find a good 30mm tube variable scope of that magnification for less than about $850 or so...that includes Nikon, Leupold.  Burris just came out with their Extreme Tactical line, which is in your budget...very nice looking scopes, 30mm tubes, but max X only to 12.  Also, the Burris Black Diamond is available in the 6x24x50 model..it's a 30mm tube, with target turrets and a mil dot reticle, for around $700.  The 50mm objective is pretty big, requiring higher rings.  

Given the urban sniping profile you mentioned, how realistic is it to have to worry about 800 yard shots?  

If you stick to more realistic ranges, you could drop down to a 1" tube and give yourself a LOT more possibilities.  A 3x10 or 4x12 would work fine, and you could easily find one of those in a Leupy, IOR, Burris, etc.  Pretty much all the major scope manufacturers are gonna have what you need in a 1" tube for your budget.  I'd look for something with a mil-dot reticle, or some other form of ranging reticle.  I'd stick to a "tactical" style scope, to maintain the profile of a LEO/military look.  

There are several vendors who support this site that could help you out when the time comes to buy.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for all the help so far guys, Im thinking I want to keep the objective lens at 40mm. 50 is just toooo big.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#14]
ACOG?    No way ona  Rem 700 police.

Bushnell 4200

Super Sniper

Leupold Tactical

Burris Xtreme

Here's a Super Sniper M on a Remington 700 PSS in .300 RUM

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#15]
shit, is there anything on sale?? that is some expensive shit... what did i get myself into?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Check out SHEPARD scopes
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#17]
you have anything in the 40 mm objective with a variable magnification up to about 16?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:40:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
shit, is there anything on sale?? that is some expensive shit... what did i get myself into?

and it only gets WORSE BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Welcome to the addiction!  

dude, it's not that tough, really.  

For that rifle, a 10x Super Sniper is everything you need,  for $300.  Get some QD rings, and you could buy another really good variable like a Weaver Grand Slam in case you wanted a "hunting" style scope, and STILL  end up spending no more than the cost of the rifle.  

Personally, I'd just grab the SS.  If you don't like it, you could sell it on the EE with no trouble, trust me.  

Or, try one of these:
www.muelleroptics.com/4-16x50IGR-Mil-Dot.htm

$210...not gonna kill you.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:44:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Wait until you start shopping for mounting solutions.......

LaRue.   IOR.  Badger Ordnance........others
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#20]
How much time to learn are you willing to invest and how much money?...

What do you want your rifle to do? Benchrest, general paper punching, hunting (what animals, what terrain)

Depending upon this I would say anything from a Leupold 6X42 to a Leupolds tactical line of 10X fixed
to their tactical line of variables...in both illuminated and non illuminated reticles..or simply their VXII line

Then there is the reticle decision...cross hairs, mildots?

And other brand names  Nightforce, Schmidt und Bender, Swarovski,

Not trying to muddy the water for you...there are just a whole lot of options these days...

Read Zacks recent thread...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How much time to learn are you willing to invest and how much money?...

What do you want your rifle to do? Benchrest, general paper punching, hunting (what animals, what terrain)

Depending upon this I would say anything from a Leupold 6X42 to a Leupolds tactical line of 10X fixed
to their tactical line of variables...in both illuminated and non illuminated reticles..or simply their VXII line

Then there is the reticle decision...cross hairs, mildots?

And other brand names  Nightforce, Schmidt und Bender, Swarovski,

Not trying to muddy the water for you...there are just a whole lot of options these days...

Read Zacks recent thread...

Well I dont really know what I want to do with it, mostly punch paper and shoot cans... hopefully as far away as 300 yards.... I am now leaning towards the super sniper in the 16 magnification what do you guys think of that? I just want to be sure that I am getting a quality scope and ring setup as my marksmanship is bad enough I dont need the gun making it worse.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
OK so a while back I had a thread on what gun to get, I decided on 2. one is a remington 700 police in .308 this gun cost me about $750 what brand of scope should i put on? what reticle should i be getting? never had a scope or bolt gun help!! what should I absolutely not get?

I highly recommend the IOR-Valdada 2.5-10x42 scope with the MP-8 reticle.  2.5 power is great for the close in stuff, and 10X will get you out to 1000 if you wanna go there.  The FOV is great, optics are superb (better than our leupold 3.5-10 LR/T's), the reticle is easier to use than the mil dot (IMHO), and they are less expensive than an equivelent Leupold (around $600-650).  The big seller for me on this scope, though, was the 1/2 minute scope adjustments, which I love.  Much easier to get out to where you need than 1/4 or 1/8 MOA (which I think are silly - has your spotter ever said "give me 1/8 minutes left and repeat."? - I doubt it).  If you need finer adjustments for zeroing, you can loosen the turret screws, and get as fine as you want.  Plus 23 minutes per turret rotation covers everything I will likely face outside of training.

I've used Luepold, IOR, Warne and Mounting solutions bases and rings, and have had no complaints.

Get good glass, or you will kick yourself when you end up replacing it later and have a scope you can use as a fishing weight.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#24]
so Sprist,
did you get a scope yet?  and what did you end up getting?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:I highly recommend the IOR-Valdada 2.5-10x42 scope with the MP-8 reticle......Get good glass, or you will kick yourself when you end up replacing it

I have yet to read a more accurate post than this one.  I'll also throw my support to IOR.  I believe mine is as almost as good as my Nightforce.  I only say 'almost' because the screws under the caps are typical communist bloc--great threads, uniform size....but the heads weren't finished as nicely.  My IOR easily hold it's own against my Nightforce, and is just a tiny bit brighter/clearer

(and the MP-8 ret is as easy to use as the NF R2----accurate ranging without a calculator!)

ETA:  here's my review -----> ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=244772
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top