Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2005 10:42:08 AM EDT
I've never had an EOtech or shot one.

So my question is, when I see them on flattops, it would seem to me that the recticle lines up with the front site blade, is that correct?  Or is it above the front sight, and does that get annoying with the lit recticle right above the front sight?

and if you didn't have a front sight to line up with a rear sight, can you still use the Eotech?

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So my question is, when I see them on flattops, it would seem to me that the recticle lines up with the front site blade, is that correct?

Yes the reticule's dot should end up on top of the front sight when it's zeroed. (assuming you're mounting the sight directly to the flattop)

and does that get annoying with the lit recticle right above the front sight?

I find it slightly annoying to the the front sight in the view with the reticule - some people don't.  That is why I bought the LaRue EOTech mount to move the optic up just enough so the reticule isn't blocked at all, but the irons are useable through the lower part of the window.

and if you didn't have a front sight to line up with a rear sight, can you still use the Eotech?

You don't need iron sights AT ALL to use the EOTech.  Either use the Irons or use the EOTech - they do not work together.  Indeed they are operated differently; Irons require you to focus on the front sight - EOTechs require you focus on the target instead.

If you have irons & an EOTech the irons are just a 'backup' in case your batteries die.  That is why many of us use folding rear sights and only deploy them when they are needed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#2]
thank you, that answered all my questions.

-mark
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So my question is, when I see them on flattops, it would seem to me that the recticle lines up with the front site blade, is that correct?  

actually, I've noticed the reticle tends to move around depending on your cheekweld, and how you are looking thru it.  So, if you adopted a higher cheekweld, it would appear higher up in the window, etc.  I'm sure there's a great technical explanation for why, but I don't have a clue.  That's one of my favorite things about having one on my rifle... I can "look around" the irons and still see the reticle just fine.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got an EOTech question ...

Does anyone have an estimate of the battery life in a model 552.A65 Rev E using Eveready AA LITHIUM batteries?

Even a guestimate using alkalines as the basis for comparison would be helpful to me.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Does anyone have an estimate of the battery life in a model 552.A65 Rev E using Eveready AA LITHIUM batteries?

Even a guestimate using alkalines as the basis for comparison would be helpful to me.  Thanks!

I did some testing on the Rev E a couple of years ago.

From this thread: http://archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=172500 (Members only)

As some of you know I picked up an EO Tech 552 (military AA battery powered model) for a very good deal a few months back. One issue that keeps getting brought up is the the battery life (especially compared to the outstanding Aimpoint M2). Doing some spec checking on the EO Tech website, the sight is listed to run 500 hours with the Lithium batteries, just over 300 with standard Alkaline batteries, and a bit over 200 hours with rechargables (NiMH). The problem is they list the times at the 'On' setting of 12. Also note all times were based on Energizer brand batteries.

FYI Energizer Brand AA Battery Storage capabilities* (milliAmp/Hour & weight):
Lithium 2900mAh, 29g
Alkaline 2850mAh, 46g
Alkaline (E2) 3135mAh, 46g
NiMH (rechargable) 2100mAh, 54g
*Data from www.Energizer.com

That setting (12) is fine for indoor use, or in low light situtations, but you won't see the reticule during the day. I found durring Giles & Petes Carbine 2 I often had the sight set at 16 or 17 during the day ('On' +4 or +5). So I decided to run some tests with the sight running at realistic levels.

I had pleny of NiCad's but few NiMH battieries so I went out to buy some specifically for this test. I settled on Energizer brand NiMH. They came 4 batteries to the pack and it included a fast (1 hour) charger, all for $20. When I got home I plugged it in and charged them up. After the batteries were charged up I installed them in my EO Tech and turned the unit on (8hrs) and pressed the 'Brighter' button 4 times (setting 16). I kept on repeating this procedure many times over the next 12 days. Some times I would go +4, other times +5, and I often carried the sight to work with me and slept next to it so I could check on it peridically and verify it didn't die. Here are my results

I was able to run the Eotech for twenty (20) eight (8) hour cycles. Almost half those cycles were at setting 16 (cycles 1 through 8, and cycle 20), the rest were at setting 17. This was done over a period of 12 days (so most days had 2 cycles). On the last day (yesterday) I started the sight (cycle #21) at setting 16 at 20:10, it was still running at 23:05, but dead by 02:30 today. The sight would not 'restart' after it died untill new batteries were installed. EO Tech lists as one of their 'advantages' that there is no muzzle side signature. They may be true on the NV setting, but when the sight is set to 16 you CAN see the reticule from the front (in a darkened room) to at least 10' [and I suspect much more but I ran out of space]. However to see it - the reticule had to be aiming right for your eye, if you were off axis just a bit you could not see the reticule.

I should note the EO Tech has a low battery indicator when the batteries reach 20% of capacity. To signal this the reticle blinks for a few seconds when the unit is turned on. The reticule started blinking on the 3rd cycle. The low battery indicator might work great for Alkalines - but its useless for NiMH batteries (as they operate at a lower voltage).

What does this mean to the EO Tech user? IMHO it means the EO Tech can be a very reliable sight for the LEO user. By starting the unit at the start of a shift the sight will be on when its needed, and it will turn off automatically at the end of an 8 hour shift. If you're on duty longer just hit the 'bright' button for another 8 hours. The LEO should swap batteries
weekly. Even at double shifts the EO Tech will be able to handle 7 days of 16/hours a day with no problem, and there will be no worry of the sight losing power.

Now for some interesting numbers. NiMH are good for up to 1000 recharges and they have no memory problem (unlike their NiCad cousins). Based on weekly use, and a life of half what is possible, those 4 batteries should be all the power that is needed for over 19 years. However reality sets in as the chemicals in the battery just won't last that long; however you will get
several years worth of work from those 4 batteries.

I've started 2 more battery tests. I had pulled out the 2nd pair of batteries from the Charger last Thursday night. When I installed them into
the EO Tech and powered up the sight I was getting the lower battery warning. According to Energizer I should't have lost more than 10-15% of the charge while the battery sat on the shelf. I plan on seeing how many days I can go starrting out this way.

I also took the spent pair of NiMH's and put them in my $20 solar recharger. Normally this is used for Ni-Cads for the kids toys - but I thought I'd try it out with these newer batteies instead of buying another solar charger. I put the pair in the charger this morning and set the charger on the dash of my Jeep. I plan on driving around for a few days to see if the charger will recharge the batteries sufficiently. According to my chart the charger should be able to recharge the batteries in 4-6 hours given full sunlight. On the dash they won't be getting optimal light as I can't insure a good angle & southern exposure. Should be interesting.

Note this testing applies to EoTech 552/512 series that are rev E or greater; earlier models could not run with Nickle-Metal-Hydride (NiMH)batteries.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
It doesn't matter if it lines up with your front sight or not, the reticule floats in relation to your eye position and matters not.  When it fails, continue using your iron sights.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top