Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2005 6:55:25 AM EDT
Thinking of buying the Illuminated Mueller 4x-12x in Mil dot or German #4 reticle for my Colt Carbine. other then the thing weighing a freaking ton, how do you guys like it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been using a Mueller Tac 4x-16x. Personally, I really like it. Optics are clear, resolution is pretty high. I wish it was a bit smaller, but it works.

So far, no problems.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the 4-16X50 with the illuminated reticle and A/O on my bench/varmiter rifle and I like the scope alot.  

You might need extra high rings if you want it to clear a rear BUIS.  On mine I also needed to mount it as far forward as possible in the rings and on the rail to get proper eye relief.  I almost did not have enough room without a rail extender.

I think it is a great scope for the money.

Seydou
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, it's the 4X-16x I meant (not 4x-12x) That red mildot reticle at dusk ought to be neat.

I intend to use an ARMs 40L buis which is level with the rail and poses no clearance problem.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if a Larue SPR mount will allow proper height  on that big 50mm objective and enough eye relief. I wasn't planning on buying the SPR EER (extended eye relief)

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine has a 50mm AO and I have it mounted in an Armalite one piece. Plenty of clearance. It has been a good scope, well worth the money.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've been using a Mueller Tac 4x-16x. Personally, I really like it. Optics are clear, resolution is pretty high. I wish it was a bit smaller, but it works.

So far, no problems.

I have one of these on my Marlin 917VS.  It is a great scope, but HUGE!  I would buy another...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Actually, it's the 4X-16x I meant (not 4x-12x) That red mildot reticle at dusk ought to be neat.

I intend to use an ARMs 40L buis which is level with the rail and poses no clearance problem.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if a Larue SPR mount will allow proper height  on that big 50mm objective and enough eye relief. I wasn't planning on buying the SPR EER (extended eye relief)

VaniB, the 40L is not level with the rail...it mount's *on* the rail, and even when folded down, sticks up about 1/2" over the height of the rail.  That's better than some other rear BUIS, but you will still have to deal with it.  Depending on the eye bell of your scope, you could very well need high/ultra high rings.  Ask me how I know! For example, a Simmons Aetec will *barely* clear the top of the 40L when was palying around.  Can't remember exactly which rings I was using at the time, but they were at least Warne high rings.  I have been switching stuff around so much lately I just can't remember the exact combo I had. My point is that you will have to factor in the height of the 40L when you pick your rings unless you can get the scope far enough forward to completely clear it.  

The LaRue EER mount will push your scope forward, but it's hard to say if it will allow that objective to clear your handguards.  If you have a float tube, you'll have a little more clearance, but I'm not sure what's on your rifle.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Fenian is correct regarding the rear BUIS.

I have the Troy rear BUIS on mine and I needed Warne ultra high rings to clear.  Even then it did not clear by that much.

Seydou
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top