Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2005 4:39:50 PM EDT
As always, thanks for looking

My Aimpoint rig is equipped with a LaRue M68 CCO mount. This mount has been bombproof and perfect. In fact, I can't think of a single thing that I don't like about it.

That being said, do the new LaRue mounts with locking levers do anything that my 1st gen doesn't do, aside from having a locking lever?

Is there is a tangible benefit I'll upgrade, otherwise I'll stick with what I have and buy the newer version for my next project. My Aimpoint rig doesn't see a lot of hard use, aside from the occasional carbine class. So far the locking lever has stayed put.

I'm certainly not knocking LaRue's new locking lever-in fact I think it's a hell of a good idea. I'm just wondering if it's something worth upgrading on a 'non-professional' carbine.

Thanks in advance!

CJan_NH

Fan of LaRue
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The new mounts are far superior to the older style. The old style are garbage and really suck. Buy the new one and send me the old one. I will properly dispose of it for you
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
you need to send it to me first so i can make sure it is an old style. i buy old stuff,  5 dolla. LOL
catfish
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi There CJan:   I have two M68 CCO old style mounts and do not plan on switching, as there is nothing wrong with them.  I'd have to get pretty rough on the carbine for it to matter, and remember, the ones we have are still considered one of the "top dogs."  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait until your old ones wear out and then just buy a used 40-Watt Phased Plasma Rifle
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I ask again: is there a single reported instance of a Larue throw lever opening on it's own?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I ask again: is there a single reported instance of a Larue throw lever opening on it's own?

Never heard of one Sovereign, and mine is certainly rock solid.

I have no reason at all to dislike mine, as it has served me flawlessly in the short time I've owned it. I'm happy to report that it's even cop proof, as demonstrated when the old man borrowed it for patrol use.

If my Father can't break it, it's bulletproof

The only reason I ask at all is just in case there is some other improvement that makes it head and shoulders better than the "old" one. All in all I couldn't be happier.

Here's my 'obsolete' Aimpoint and LaRue mount:

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If the opportunity arose where you could upgrade easily, at no, or little cost, I would go ahead. Other than that, I would not bother. I wasnt expecting to upgrade to the new RCO ACOG over my TA31f, but the chance to sell my TA31F and buy a RCO A4 the very next day, at no cost to myself came up, so I said why not. Had that opportunity not come my way, I would still be quite please with my TA31F. If someone offered to buy your 1st Gen mount, at a price that would not leave you needing to pay much more for the new one, go ahead. If not, keep the mount you are happy with and has, and is still, serving you well. Buy the new mount for a new rifle if you have one in the works.

Thanks Neil!

I have a couple of builds that are slowly coming together as time and finances permit. Perhaps the lockable throwlever would be a prudent choice for those rifles. One will have an Aimpoint, and the other will have some iteration of AccuPoint (haven't decided which one yet). My 3-9x40 AccuPoint has been great, so I may just buy another one for when the time comes
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a LT Gen2 Aimpoint mount (the first being just a LT scope ring used for the
Aimpoint) with the "fins" on the sides- and I like the looks of better than the new ones.
So, until something really revolutionary comes along, no change here. Maybe some
day its a collectors item!

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I too have one of the old LaRue M68 CCO mounts (mine is purple!) and one of those obselete ML2 Aimpoints. It seems that, even with this ancient relic mounted atop my Colt, I am still able to hit things with my equally obselete, Vietnam-era technology XM193 ammo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Of the 3 Larue levers that I own, not one has come close to even moving a fraction of a milimeter.

No need to upgrade in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I too have one of the old LaRue M68 CCO mounts (mine is purple!) and one of those obselete ML2 Aimpoints. It seems that, even with this ancient relic mounted atop my Colt, I am still able to hit things with my equally obselete, Vietnam-era technology XM193 ammo.

+1  And if you need a spare battery, buy the Aimpont Double Battery Cap off EE.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#15]
You need to upgrade it because it is from LaRue, and have to do it asap.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have a LT Gen2 Aimpoint mount (the first being just a LT scope ring used for the
Aimpoint) with the "fins" on the sides- and I like the looks of better than the new ones.
So, until something really revolutionary comes along, no change here. Maybe some
day its a collectors item!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/CatoY2k/PICT0010.jpg

That's a sweet carbine! I love the look of the old "finned" LaRue M68 mounts, and prefer the looks of either to the new one.

With that being said, I do like the locking lever on all of the single lever mounts, because I'm one of those dumbasses that seems to be able to screw anything up. I've never unlocked a throwlever on accident, but my gear  decided to do it once... Luckily, only the flashlight hit the gravel. Once my gear somehow disengaged my sling from the CQD loop during a transition and dropped the entire gun, optic first, straight onto the pavement... Damn nylon screws everything up!

On the dual throwlever mounts it's not really needed, IMO.

I also like the placement of the Aimpoint in the new M68 mount, as it allows the Aimpoint rear cap to fully open with the LaRue BUIS in place. Yes, I'm one of those posers that keeps the rear Aimpoint cap on.

All in all, the new features are neat, but nothing that would make me buy a new mount to replace my old one... Wait a second, didn't I just sell my old mount to a friend in need? Darn, looks like I'll be needing to get one of the new ones to replace its loss

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#17]
i have no problems with the lever coming loose of catching anything

i have no reasons as of right now to upgrade or swap out.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Cjan-  Would you drive your parent's old Chrysler Cordova if it still ran?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Cjan-  Would you drive your parent's old Chrysler Cordova if it still ran?

That's different!  Those came with "Corinthian" Leather!!!! Swanky........
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#20]
That's an inside joke with him- But he's now too embarrassed to explain it.
Stop hiding CJan- Trade in that oldschool LaRue!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:43:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top