Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2005 9:10:01 AM EDT
I need an *affordable* scope for a 16" rifle...it'll be for longer range shooting (if I ever get to do any lol). Right now, I've got a Holosight on it, and some flip up sights for BUIS.  I'm thinking somewhere in the 3x10 or 4-12 range, with no more than a 44mm objective.  

The scope will not be mounted on the rifle most of the time, it's just a "grab one rifle and go" kinda thing, where the scope will used to augment the Holosight.  That's the reason for not wanting to have more than $200 or so tied up in this scope, yet I want something that will be half way decent when the time comes.  

The folks who've tried Muellers and Swifts seem to really like them, from what they've posted occasionally in other threads, but that seems to be very sporadic.  

So, if owners of these brands don't mind, could you tell me what you like about them?  

I like the premise behind the Mueller 3x10x44 illuminated dot reticle, so if anyone has that particular scope, even better.  

***I do NOT have the $1500 for a Nightforce super duper uber tactical extra special donut reticle scope that will increase the size of my already gargantuan member (I'm Catholic, remember), so there's no need to suggest I get one.  But thanks for thinking about me!  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Mueller Eraticator.   Totally awesome scope.  Very clear picture, nice adjustments etc.  I purchased mine from ebay for a little more than $200  

Here ya go  http://cgi.ebay.com/Mueller-8-5-25x50AO-Red-Dot-Eraticator-Scope-Lenspen_W0QQitemZ7175069104QQcategoryZ31714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a Mueller Eraticator.   Totally awesome scope.  Very clear picture, nice adjustments etc.  I purchased mine from ebay for a little more than $200  

Here ya go  http://cgi.ebay.com/Mueller-8-5-25x50AO-Red-Dot-Eraticator-Scope-Lenspen_W0QQitemZ7175069104QQcategoryZ31714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Brightness and image quality wise, what can you can you compare it to?  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#3]
tagged for future refernce
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I can not speak to the particular model Mueller's you are considering but I recently bought a Mueller 2-7X32 "Red Dot" scope and have been more than pleased. The glass is clearer and brighter than an older Leupold Vari-X II 2-7X28 that I recently had refurbished at the Leupold Factory Service Center.  Time will tell how robust it is but so far so good.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks...that's exactly what I'm looking for.  Hopefully some more Mueller/Swift owners will chime in.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Brightness and image quality wise, what can you can you compare it to?  

I'll say it's very bright with a crisp crosshair.   As far as comparing it to one of the top brands.  I guess I will say it can hang with a Leupold.

Mueller Reviews

Hope that helps a little more.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#7]
How bright is the red dot on these scopes?  I'm assuming it's not bright enough for full daytime use...if it was, that would be awesome.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#8]
It is very very bright.  There is 11 intensity settings.  Go to their webpage.  It will have the answers to your questions.  www.muelleroptics.com  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It is very very bright.  There is 11 intensity settings.  Go to their webpage.  It will have the answers to your questions.  www.muelleroptics.com  

johndel, I appreciate your answers...I've been to their site, but I always take the manufacturers words with a grain of salt, though.  When it comes to optics, there's no substitute for hearing from guys who actually own the stuff.  

Can you see the dot on a bright sunny day, like an Aimpoint, or is it just for dawn/dusk type conditions.  

For example, I cannot see the reticle on my Burris LER 3x9 during daylight, despite what Burris would like me to believe lol.    
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes.  It is very bright.  I don't think you will have any problem seeing that in daylight.  Good Luck.  I think you will be more then happy with a Mueller.  I don't know squat about Swift.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yes.  It is very bright.  I don't think you will have any problem seeing that in daylight.  Good Luck.  I think you will be more then happy with a Mueller.  I don't know squat about Swift.

I'm leaning towards getting the Meuller because of the red dot, most likely the 3x10.  I wish they kept the objective at 40mm, like on the 3x9, but I can live with the 44mm.  

Once again, thanks for your help.  

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top