Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2005 9:06:43 PM EDT
I was sitting down at a picnic table and having a coke, when a guy sits down across from me. He's talking to a guy, I'm talking to a guy, and then I started eyeballing the AR-15 he pulled out. Nice looking rifle (couldn't tell the manufacturer), quad rails, Surefire light mounted on one of them, and then I see it-he had an Eotech mounted on top of the carrying handle.

If I could have, I would have asked him about his setup, e.g. "How do you co-witness that thing, or do you even care to?" Anyone else ever seen this?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
there is no co-witnessing with it mounted on the carry handle

imo it would be too high and impratical
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:50:23 AM EDT
[#2]
No need to co-witness. If the Eotech goes tits up, you just drop your line of sight down to the rear sight on the carry handle.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:15:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No need to co-witness. If the Eotech goes tits up, you just drop your line of sight down to the rear sight on the carry handle.

Nice thought.

Whats the POI at various ranges out to 300yds going to be?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:35:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Chinweld ?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Chinweld ?

more like none
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
IIRC there was a thread few weeks ago with pictures of guys with their eotech on top of the carry handle
I think they were german SF, using G36. I think it was eotech, might be aimpoint too...was kinda funny looking seating that high
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#8]
And our SF guy does his too.

It is a HOLOgraphic sight and is the best to use in CQB environments.

"In holography, all the information required to reconstruct the reticle image is recorded everywhere in the Heads-Up Display window."

Co-witness is an option but not a necessity to use with a holographic sight.

Image the guy sits in his F15 needs to co-witness his targets in a dog fight........
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#9]

That's so 1995.

It may not be uber cool and up-to-date efficient, but it's far faster than irons for most shooters. If not for Arfcom and the 9/11 response pushing the limits, that setup would probably be state of the art.

If technology keeps moving at these speeds, in ten years the setups we have now will look just as funny, inefficient, and embarrassing to show in public. I’d give the guy a break. Not much you can do with a carry handle mount and what he has is about the best you can do with it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorta  hard to cowitness, meaning the red dot would be in line with the irons, when the red dot is mounted completely above the irons.

The application can be used effectively, if trained on effectively.  It just goes against the present convention of cheekweld/NTCH.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#11]

It may not be uber cool and up-to-date efficient, but it's far faster than irons for most shooters.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I would think that a carry handle option would be perfect for LEO or Military units that use Gas Masks during CQB/Entry jobs.

J223...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It may not be uber cool and up-to-date efficient, but it's far faster than irons for most shooters.

members.aol.com/ar15com/trijicon

That Aimpoint doesn't look that bad, actually.

It looks like the center of it is only 1/2 an inch above the irons.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I was watching the Kenai PD a this spring practice with ACOG's mounted on carry handles(they were pretty damn happy with the new bushies they had).  Did not notice a real problem, and they were pretty quick with them.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top