Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2005 8:10:29 PM EDT
AR Flattop w/16" barrel: Mostly 100yr range and some 200yr stuff is my target useage at the moment.

After looking at some posts and researching various scopes, the IOR's 4x24 M2 sound like a good bang for the buck.
However, after reading some older posts, I'm concerned about eye relief with this scope? Should I be?

Also, I would like to mount this scope-low. Considering the Armalite one piece mount.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The eye relief is ok with that scope...I wear glasses, but it didn't cause me any problems.  I would have preferred about 1" more eye relief, but it's ok...and it's my only criticism of this scope.  I think IOR is being very generous to themselves when they claim X amount of eye relief...and the problem is compounded by the lens being set further into the scope than the rear lens is in some other scopes.

I used a set up medium ARMS rings, and that was a pretty good setup.  I don't know that I'd go too low with mounting this scope...it could make getting a usable cheek weld pretty tough, unless you like your face scrunched into the buttstock.  

The Armalite mount should be ok, from the pix I've seen of it.  

Read the directions when it comes time to zero it for the first time.  It's not hard to follow, but some folks seem to unsrew the wrong screw, and cause themselves problems.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#2]
So, if I remove the IOR's scope rubber eye cover(assuming it comes off easy?), will this provide additional eye relief if needed?

Good point about the glasses. I don't have prescription eyewear, but always make a point to use safety eyewear when shooting at the range.  I did not even think about glasses until you mentioned it in your post. Good thing you did!

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:15:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So, if I remove the IOR's scope rubber eye cover(assuming it comes off easy?), will this provide additional eye relief if needed?

Yes. The first thing I did was to take that thing off. It just slides off. My complaint with it was it made me put my head against the rubber to gain full FOV. As mentioned above, the glass is set back in the scope a ways and the advertised eye relief is generous. Another reason I pulled the rubber peice off is it would not clear the BUIS. Other than that, the M2 is a great scope for the money!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have a 4x24 M2 CQB.  The eye relief is fine for the AR, and is similar to what you will find on the ACOGs in the same power range.  Just throw the eye piece in the trash - it's useless.  Get the Butler Creek size 3A flip up front and rear caps - they fit perfect.

I have been very happy with this scope, but wish there was a little more eye relief to play with for mounting different types of BUISs.  That, and the lowest setting on the illum reticle could be a little dimmer (overly bright when it's really dark).

No idea on the rings.  I got the Warne ultra-high QD rings, and am very happy with them.  They do make a high ring that sits a little lower that you might want to look at.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#5]
As has been said, ditch the rubber and get a BC flip-up.  The eye relief is not a problem if you get the scope surgically implanted in your skull.    Seriously, though, I haven't found a satisfactory way to use it with a buis.  Maybe the ARMS #40L with the right scope mount would work.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the rubber cup being a useless POS.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info.

I'll reach out to CS and order something shortly.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top