Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 7:49:40 PM EDT
Is there enough room on a flat top for a 512 and a cut carying handle type BUIS or do you have to run a flip up?

Either way which is going to be the most durable?  What would you use with a 512 (the long AA one)?

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If you look back a couple days in the optics forum (down the page a little more) you should find a similar question about an LMT rear site which is basically a fancy cut carry handle.

A guy was running one behind his 512/552 and he liked it.

WIZZO

EDIT: HERE
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#2]
i have a cut carrying handle as my buis and a eaotech, work good.  i wanna go to a flip up buis though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#3]
It works but personally I can't stand having all that junk in my sight picture at all times.

I prefer the lower third co witness that you get with a raised mount for the EoTech.

There is no reason to have your iron sights in the way all the time.   Place them
in the lower portion of the window, and flip the rear sight out of the way until you
need it.

Troy BUIS and LaRue EoTech riser mount:

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Texas runs exactly what I do...and I like it!  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:19:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There is no reason to have your iron sights in the way all the time.  

There was a LEO here not too long ago asking about the LMT or CCH BUIS’s. If I remember correctly it was his dept’s policy that the BUIS be fixed. Reason being, if there is no time to turn on an optic while exiting the vehicle, the BUIS would all ready be in place.

I can see the reasoning behind this, it’s one reason I like my CCH BUIS.........it’s always there!!!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:58:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:59:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is no reason to have your iron sights in the way all the time.  

There was a LEO here not too long ago asking about the LMT or CCH BUIS’s. If I remember correctly it was his dept’s policy that the BUIS be fixed. Reason being, if there is no time to turn on an optic while exiting the vehicle, the BUIS would all ready be in place.

I can see the reasoning behind this, it’s one reason I like my CCH BUIS.........it’s always there!!!!

Well the entry team leader of the local drug taskforce teaches carbine classes and mine
is setup according to his recommendation.  The thinking goes that given the battery life
of both the Eotech and the Aimpoint, there is no reason the optic should be off.

Turn the optic on at the beginning of the shift and it will auto shut off 8 hours later.
You can do that for months on end, just get in a ritual of changing the batteries.

Aimpoint you can just leave on and change the batteries every few months as well.

So, different thoughts on the same thing, I think either is valid.

The sight picture you get with the BUIS out of the way is worth it to me.
I turn my EoTech on each night when I got to bed, if I need it during the night,
the sight is already on.   It's just a couple of AA batteries now and then.

Now the guy I take classes from also told a story of a fellow team member having
his EoTech shut off in the middle of fight because they had an extended shift,
so it's something to think about.

Again his argument was that setting up your carbine for a 5% chance makes it less
effective the other 95% of the time.  And of course practice is most important,
if you can get used to having your sight window full of irons and realize that they
will not always be aligned with the target, then that's OK.

Remember though that the 3 sighting elements are independant of each other,
in other words the Eotech reticle and the front/back iron sights will not
always align when in use since the optic allows for so many different cheek
welds, or none at all, and it can sill be used where the irons require
perfect alignment.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top