Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2005 6:01:34 PM EDT
I have an Eotech 511. Takes type N batteries. The batteries I put in have been in for a while- 10-12 months maybe. I have used the sight maybe 10-20 hours total with these batteries with the last time being three months ago. Tried the sight today and the batteries were dead. Is this normal that the batteries are dead after sitting that long without being used? Should I be switching them out regularly?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had very bad luck with EOTech in general. I had a 511 as well and it would drain brand new batteries within 1-2 weeks when turned off.

I just buy Trijicon products now. Fiber optics and tritium last far longer than batteries in those holosights.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about the 511, but my 512 has been great.

Do you know what revision it is (E, F, or is it before that?)

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought it in March of 2004. It is what ever model that was being offered at the time. I think the F's were just coming out. I haven't used it a great deal that is why I am unsure of the battery life of the unit when it is being used and when it is not being used.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard the same problem from several other sources and that's the exact reason why I did not go with an EOtech but rather my Aimpoint.  A sight is no good if you can't count on it when you need to.  I would be deathly afraid of an eletronic sight knowing that if my life counted on its proper operation and gambling every single time in hopes that the battery wasn't drained.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The batteries in the Aimpoint last for years and hell you don't even turn it off.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:47:41 AM EDT
[#6]
What model of Aimpoint would be comparable to the Eotech 511? I like the function of the Eotech but can't say I'm impressed with the battery function. Is it just with the type N batteries or does battery drain when not in use happen with the AA models?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:06:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the 552 , I've had AA lithium since I bought it, last Nov. 2004. I use it a lot, like every weekend since I bought it. The EOTech is on for 3-4 hours each session. The battery status is great. I used a multimeter and 1.4v shows. Not bad for all the use. So I can't see a problem with battery use here. Goodluck...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:01:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Same here. Bought the sight, (552F) put in the batterys, and never even turn it off. I just let it shut it self off and it's over  months old . No worries.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Makes me wonder if you had some bad batteries to begin with.

I use both the N battery and AA battery versions.  

On my primary gun, I have the 512F. I turn it on every night at bedtime
and it shuts off 8 hours later.  I changed the batteries once so far, at about 5 months
of age, just in case.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got two friends that had that same problem with early EoTech sights. I had hoped they fixed that. Maybe you should give them a call.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top