Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2005 3:12:43 PM EDT
been shooting with my trijicon tr 1x4 and it has held up great during my last class i took with it. a thosusand plus rds down range,in and out of vehicles and buildings and then shot the qual with no problems. going into another 10 daybworkup and have complete confidence in this scope. thanks bldr for his bringing this scope to my attention. the price was right under 400.00 and with the larue mount i bought to replace the warne 1 in rings i had it monuted in this package is hard to beat. i used my trijicon ta31f and loved it just up close i lost speed . the triangle is bright red and can be adjusted so no need for the inner tube mod. the scope is also light and the optics clear. looking through my sn4 with doe mark 2 reticle i didnt feel i lost anything with the tr. i just wondering if the s and b is that much better or is it just the newest over priced fad. i would like some input from people who have used both. i just ordered another tr but with the amber reticle. i did this because when i tried out the pvs14 left eye and right eye looking at the tr the red was not the best choice do to the reticle not popping out. looked at my tr 3x9 amber and it was perfect. has anyone tried this with the s and b? even with 3 trs im still under the price of the s and b so is it that much better. i have good optics my 50 cal sports a nightforce and the sn4 i had on my spr i just replaced with the tr 3x9. i dont mind spending the funds if the end result is that much better. like 4 times better.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Trijicon does not have a 1-4X scope, S&B does, S&B works inthe dark with a flashlight and has target turrets and more room for adjustment but takes batteries and has mildots.  That about sums it up.  You wont be happy with the S&B because its not 4X better.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
1.25x4. sorry about that. the sand b with flashlight can you explain. are you just illuminating the area? also are milots needed on a carbine?batteries are a none issue as aimpoints and eotechs and such have good life plus i would put a new set in before hand and have a spare just in case. a far as turrets are you going to dial up and down or just engage. if you want mildots and such why not just step up to a 2x10 or something were you could take advantage of these fetures. i think the key with the new optics coming out is speed ie dot or triangle and target id using 4x. lets not forget these are carbines .
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
1.25x4. sorry about that. the sand b with flashlight can you explain. are you just illuminating the area? also are milots needed on a carbine?batteries are a none issue as aimpoints and eotechs and such have good life plus i would put a new set in before hand and have a spare just in case. a far as turrets are you going to dial up and down or just engage. if you want mildots and such why not just step up to a 2x10 or something were you could take advantage of these fetures. i think the key with the new optics coming out is speed ie dot or triangle and target id using 4x. lets not forget these are carbines .

Tritium/fiber optics go dim when using a flash light and you are left with an unilluminated reticle which is easily lost and takes a second to reaquire when the light is flashed on.  Mildots not needed but give aiming references that can be used for idividual bullet ranging distances at any power instead of just the fiber optic tubing that sticks up in a a Trijicon to be your reticle.  A 1X optic is far superior to a 1.25 for speed.  Ranging on the turret via BDC cam with correct ammo is far more precise than half asses guestimates on an uniluminated portion of fiber optic.  You get real ability to hit things at 300-400 yards with the S&B because of the turrets and better ability to do it fast because of the mildots.  You dont really have the same precision with the Trijicon.  You dont have the same speed either due to lack of true 1X and permanantly lit reticle the S&B has.  Trijicon is an excellent low dollar alternative.  It is inferior in many aspects but is certainly lightweight, simple and cheap.  A S&B does things the Trijicon will not.  Its not 4X better though.  A 2-10X scope makes more sense to me than a 1.25-4X scope does.  I have no use for a 1.25-4X scope.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:04:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The S&B Short Dot is my candidate for a ONE AND ONLY optic to go on a fighting AR. Simply put, nothing else can deliver the same versatility and performance. And that is why you pay a premium for it. The Trijicon Accupoint simply doesn't perform the 'red dot' gig as well as the S&B does because it's neither 1x nor poperly illuminated.
It's also bigger and bulkier, bad things IMO for an optic for a battle rifle.

The nerast equivalent I can think of is actually the Leupold CQT. I haven't had a chance to comapre them side by side (but am hoping to do so soon). It's only 3x cheaper than the Short Dot.

The mils are for holding off rather than for ranging really. FF is a good thing though and this ios where the Accupoint and CQT don't stack up. They're 'American' scopes with 2FP.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:43:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top