Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 6:37:17 PM EDT
I am looking for something like the tacks you stick into tree trunks that reflect your flashlight back to you and are usually used to find a tree stand, but that only work in the IR spectrum.

Does this exist?

I know C4 sells flags and other items that behave like this but is there something a little less expensive that would work?

Thanks,
Bob
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You can get 1X1 IR squares for $2.50 apiece or 2X2 Silver Glint squares for around $4 apiece. If you buy in bulk I can get you better prices.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

Do these react to visible light?
Bob
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:53:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:21:07 AM EDT
[#4]
As a 6-8 hr solution...

You can buy IR Chemlights. They work just like a normal glowstick, but are almost totally invis. to naked eye.

In the Army, we would cut them open and mark our trail (kinda looked like the blood trail in Preditor)
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:26:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:50:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do these react to visible light?

stick an IR filter on your flashlight.

It's not my flashlight I am worried about.
I don't want the trail to be immediately obvious by reflection to car headlights or flashlights. I am thinking this would be used to mark a trail head or entry point that is out in the open but not immediately apparent that it is a trail head.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:02:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:34:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Grant said they don't reflect white light so they won't reflect headlights but they also can't be seen by you. Put an IR filter on your flash light and you'll be able to see them

That was the original plan except that I use an IR keychain light around my neck; it is plently with the  NVD's I am using.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#9]
This looks interesting.

murphyjunk.bizland.com/id2.html
I'll let you know since I ordered this set and a hard case for a set of PVS-5's. I love surplus stuff.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This looks interesting.
murphyjunk.bizland.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/DSC06381.jpg
murphyjunk.bizland.com/id2.html
I'll let you know since I ordered this set and a hard case for a set of PVS-5's. I love surplus stuff.

Wow! That looks very interesting.
Let us know how it works.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You can get 1X1 IR squares for $2.50 apiece or 2X2 Silver Glint squares for around $4 apiece. If you buy in bulk I can get you better prices.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

C4,
I cannot find these on your site. Do you have a more direct URL?

Thanks,
Bob
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:54:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's a crappy pic hoping to illustrate the IR markers. You get 6 LED modules which are powered by a 9v battery and inserted into holders which are just metal spikes. The package comes with a green canvas carry case and has NSN's stamped on all  of the pieces. With just the battery and LED it makes a decent little hand held illuminator. At $45 delivered it's probably more cost effective to go with the IR tape from Grant though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Very cool. Thanks for the pictures.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#16]
If the mission was a short term time frame, the LED's or Cyalumes (baby Cyalumes like in the Trijicon Tripower) would also work, but passive devices like tape/tacks would last for quite some time.    As long as they weren't covered or damaged, you could come back a year later and find your trail.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top