Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 7:05:58 PM EDT
Is 3X9 enough scope for my REmington pss? Will  be doing Coyote duty out to about 300 yards.

I Dont need an Ubertactical Milspec type scope
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#1]
A quality 3X9 will put you anywhere you need to be under 300 yards.  Leave the adjustable focus lenses to the other guys.  I'm a fan of low power scopes, I've never even registered a kill during hunting season with anything over a 6X.  Sounds like a 3.5-10X might be okay too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL. Fools moved your post to the WRONG section.  Last I checked a Remington pss was NOT an ar-15. Just absolutely ridiculous. They whine about it being in the wrong forum and then put it in the wrong forum.

They should know that you're referring to a precision rifle.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I am looking at a leupold VariX II  3X9X50..........  good choice for low light scenerios?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#4]
that'll work, but why not put a bit of a better scope on as good of a rifle?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
that'll work, but why not put a bit of a better scope on as good of a rifle?

Like what?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm looking for a mil dot scope for out to 400+ yards to go on my HB DPMS. Something that'd work for low light would be great.  I have ZERO experience with good scopes.  Not a whole lot of precision rifle work to be done in Arkansas.  I've never seen a deer shot (legally) over 130 yards in Arkansas.  And since I've gotten old enough to shoot how and what I wanna shoot I have a helluva lot to learn.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am looking at a leupold VariX II  3X9X50..........  good choice for low light scenerios?

That'll be a fine scope for your scope of work.  I forget if the VXII models have the 1/4 MOA adjustable clicks.  I've always thought that was the best.  I owned a Leupold Rifleman once and didn't like the friction adjustments.  But in any case, that's a good choice.  Big +1 on the 50mm objective for low light.  May even consider an illuminated model if you'll be out at night.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#8]
i like the 10x42m supersniper or if youre planning on laying some money down a nighforce or uso
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i like the 10x42m supersniper or if youre planning on laying some money down a nighforce or uso

Is that a fixed power scope of 10 power?..... not good for hunting
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

If an animal appears up close and you have a scope that is FIXED on 10 power..... you aint gonna see nuthin but hair
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

If an animal appears up close and you have a scope that is FIXED on 10 power..... you aint gonna see nuthin but hair

yeah i re-read the post, 10x would be too much for stalking animals that are close by, fov, magn. all that stuff is not favorable for hunting.

but the nightforce would suit the need real well
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:53:40 AM EDT
[#13]
the PSS is a tactical rifle, not a hunting rifle.  Not that you can't use it for such, but it's a pretty hefty rifle for lugging around the mountains.  and anything you hunt, I sure hope you would not be taking risky long distance shots with.  take the animal down clean. (not that it cant be done mind you)

get a decent tactical scope.  Leupold, Nightforce, IOR, USO, supersniper...etc.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:04:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Your best bet, given your needs, would more than likely be a Zeiss Conquest, 4.5-14x44 scope.  Very lightweight, the BEST optical clarity for the money, and the power range is perfect for your applications.  No worry about mirage at 14x, low light performance is amazing due to coatings.  

You can pick one up, if you are lucky, on ebay for under $500.  Well worth it, trust me.  I only use Zeiss and Swarovski now for all my optics needs (unless I can find a Fujinon for under $150, which are damn nice as well).
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
the PSS is a tactical rifle, not a hunting rifle.  Not that you can't use it for such, but it's a pretty hefty rifle for lugging around the mountains.  and anything you hunt, I sure hope you would not be taking risky long distance shots with.  take the animal down clean. (not that it cant be done mind you)

get a decent tactical scope.  Leupold, Nightforce, IOR, USO, supersniper...etc.

This rifle is going to be my plinking, target shooting, Varmint, coyote rig.

Any hunting beyond 300 yards will be with my trusted 300 win mag.  Yes I know a .308 will go the distance, but that is not what I purchased this rifle for

It may be a tactical gun, but it is Identical to remingrtons varmint line of rifles, except for the palm swell on the stock.

I would have bought the Varmint rig, but I like the stock on this weapon better.

I absolutely WILL not own a tactical type of scope.  All those adjustment knobs are damn near a hinderance/nuicence in hunting applications
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:39:48 AM EDT
[#16]
3x9 should be fine for what you want...lots of brands to choose from in that range, it's probably the most common scope magn. range out there.  

I've seen the Zeiss Conquest...the glass is amazing...completely blows away every thing else I've seen.  

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top