Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 12:17:54 PM EDT
I want a scope to serve for sport and tactical purposes on my Colt 6721 A3. Though I don't intend to compete in 3 gun tournaments, I want a scope that is capable of shooting clusters at 100 yards, but can also double up for Close Quarters style shooting if need be.

I want an illuminated reticle and I'll probably settle on a 3X- 9X scope, maybe a  4x to 10X, or 4X-16X  (If I bought a variable 1.5x- 5x scope, I'd lose some of that 100 yard+ accuracy for target/sniper style shooting I'd like to do at the range)

BUT I'M REALLY CONFUSED HOW NECESSARY IT IS TO HAVE AN ADJUSTABLE FRONT OBJECTIVE.  Is it advisable to get an AO if I'm seeking accurate groups at 100 yards? But then will there always be a concern of the  AO not being focused properly when your doing close quarter combat shooting?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#1]
side focus is what i would go for.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a Burris compact 3x9 AO rimfire scope, love it, very clear, long releif,...use it on my beowulf, oly glock, and even rimfires.  I would get the 4x12 if I had to get another, not illum but on 3x with a 9v light mounted I can see the crosshairs fine....
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have to check out what a "side focus" is and what advantages it offers.  Have no clue of the differences.
(please...no  "duhhhhh" wise cracks that it is afocus knob on the side of the scope instead on the end)

For the extra $50 that the Mueller scope charges for an illuminated reticle, I don't mind having it in addition to a good light too.

Anybody else with AO opinions???
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Most adjust parallax and focus with a knob on the side.  Parallax adjustment is worthwhile for small targets and further distances.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#5]
You cant adjust the adjustable objective scope from the firing position.  The one I had was very stiff as well.  I much prefer side focus and cant see the use of a an adjustable objective with todays side focus as an option.

Your concern about close quarters is a non issue though.  The adjustable objective or side focus is used for LONGER than 100 yard ranges not for CQB where its not an issue.  A fixed 100 yard parallax will serve you fine for 100 and under shooting.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I want a scope to serve for sport and tactical purposes on my Colt 6721 A3. Though I don't intend to compete in 3 gun tournaments, I want a scope that is capable of shooting clusters at 100 yards, but can also double up for Close Quarters style shooting if need be.

I want an illuminated reticle and I'll probably settle on a 3X- 9X scope, maybe a  4x to 10X, or 4X-16X  (If I bought a variable 1.5x- 5x scope, I'd lose some of that 100 yard+ accuracy for target/sniper style shooting I'd like to do at the range)

BUT I'M REALLY CONFUSED HOW NECESSARY IT IS TO HAVE AN ADJUSTABLE FRONT OBJECTIVE.  Is it advisable to get an AO if I'm seeking accurate groups at 100 yards? But then will there always be a concern of the  AO not being focused properly when your doing close quarter combat shooting?

You want two completely different scopes. I run a 1-4x20(no AO or parralax adjustment available on it) and it's fine for shooting from 1ft to 300 yards(furthest I've taken it). I can shoot some pretty good sized groups with it at 100 yards not a problem and if you want to shoot small groups at 200 and 300 and further a 4 power or 5 power scope is not really the way to go. I can and have put rounds where they need to be at those ranges with the set up. But for precision shooting I'd go with a higher magnification optic, something in the 8-12 power range on the top end. But with that you will lose the speed for CQB stuff. 1.5 on the low end is pretty wierd for CQB till you get used to it, so something like a 2.5-10 might be even wierder. But it would allow you your precision shots at greater distances and still allow you some type of close in use as well. There are optics for precision shootng, and there are optics for close in dirty work and optics to cover the middle ground between the two(the low power variables). I really wouldn't want to use an AO type scope for close in work and most low power variables won't have that option anyway, at least none of the ones I'm aware of do. A 3-9 or a 2.5-10 are probably the happy medium for what you want, they won't be as good for CQB type shooting, but they will cover the precision stuff better then a scope with a 4 power or 5 power top setting.
Hope thats not clear as mud.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top