Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/1/2005 8:01:18 PM EDT
I am going to be mounting a scope using some Leupold PRW rings (1", medium, Weaver style base).

I want to make sure I have a very good and secure mount.

I have read online that some suggest to put a piece of electrical tape around the scope
tube before mounting it onto the rings. Is this needed?

Also, what kind of LocTite should I use? Blue?

Any other tricks or tips for scope mounting? THANKS!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Some folks put thin sticky labels on one half of each ring to help stop scope movement under heavy recoil. Wrapping the scope tube with tape doesn't sound like a good idea considering the tube and ring diameters are nearly the same. You can generally find these stick ons at gunshops that mount scopes. If your rifle has light recoil then you probably don't need them.

Blue LocTite works well. Don't use red.

Those rings are not split in half, the tops are more like a 2/3 ring and will mark the scope when snapped on the tube. You can minimize scratches by lightly spreading them but be careful or they will  bend. Also, those rings do not work well on picatinny rails.

If you have two piece bases then alignment should be checked or you can bend the tube.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:21:07 AM EDT
[#2]
mstn has a thread tacked in his forum which can be found in the industry forum

i would loose the tape idea
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:05:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Some folks put thin sticky labels on one half of each ring to help stop scope movement under heavy recoil. Wrapping the scope tube with tape doesn't sound like a good idea considering the tube and ring diameters are nearly the same. You can generally find these stick ons at gunshops that mount scopes.

If your rifle has light recoil then you probably don't need them.

Blue LocTite works well. Don't use red.

Those rings are not split in half, the tops are more like a 2/3 ring and will mark the scope when snapped on the tube. You can minimize scratches by lightly spreading them but be careful or they will  bend. Also, those rings do not work well on picatinny rails.

If you have two piece bases then alignment should be checked or you can bend the tube.

The gun the scope is going to become mounted to has some really decent recoil. I have shot it plenty before and it tears me up! I was hoping to do some research and mount the scope good this time and not have to worry about.

I first mounted the scope using some inferior rings, which could not hold the properly scope and the rings eventually let loose and things become mis-aligned.

I just got the scope back from the company (warranty work), bought some Leupold rings and threw the other rings in the trash.

I figured Blue LocTite would be better than Red, but wanst sure if there was another type I should use. I will pick up a tube of blue today, thanks.

The rings are going to be mounted on a Weaver Rail, not a pict rail.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#4]
i have mounted scopes to my .50 beowulf and have never had the need to use any sort of tape and usually dont loctite either.

but some i have loctite but the ones i didint have yet to come apart.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two .375 Remington 700 Ultra Mags with scopes. They kick substantially more than a typical AR platform.

I used Loctite to mount the bases but that is it. I have never had a scope shift. I have a couple of hundred rounds of 300 grainers launched at 2850 FPS in the one. The other has fired about 100 rounds.

No problems with them.

The tape is not a good idea at all.

Lapping the rings is a good idea.

viator
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I suggest tightening the rings to the foot pounds (or inch pounds) that they reccomend.   Use lock tight... blue.

Will be buying a lazer level that does the cross hairs and a small Starrett bubble balance to get everything on just right.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, I mounted my scope and I can see my gun's barrel!

I guess the medium heights rings are too short and I need to find some HIGH or TALL scope rings.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:45:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, I mounted my scope and I can see my gun's barrel!

I guess the medium heights rings are too short and I need to find some HIGH or TALL scope rings.

how do you see the barrel? the only way possible is if your scope is canted really bad.

i guess you mean the front sight base is a blur in the sight picture? high or ex-high would work when mounting on the ar15 upper reciever
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy a ring lapping kit from Midway (about $25-$30). Instructions are included, its really quite easy.  You'll get perfect alignment (I've seen some one piece bases out of alignment too), a nice snug fit, and if properly done, no ring marks on your scope bodies.

LPD111 wrote:
I am going to be mounting a scope using some Leupold PRW rings (1", medium, Weaver style base).

I want to make sure I have a very good and secure mount.

I have read online that some suggest to put a piece of electrical tape around the scope
tube before mounting it onto the rings. Is this needed?

Also, what kind of LocTite should I use? Blue?

Any other tricks or tips for scope mounting? THANKS!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#10]

how do you see the barrel? the only way possible is if your scope is canted really bad.

i guess you mean the front sight base is a blur in the sight picture? high or ex-high would work when mounting on the ar15 upper reciever

My scope rings are not tall enough and I can see my barrel.

I compared these medium Leupold rings to my old (junk) $20 rings and my old  rings are a
tad taller than the Leupolds I am using. My old rings were perfect height, but they were cheap rings
that could not hold the recoil of my gun.

The scope/rings are not going on an AR platform, Savage 210F.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top