Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 10:01:38 AM EDT
Maybe I have been living under a rock, but I don't understand why the Trijicon Reflex has lost its appeal and popularity.  

I own or have owned Aimpoint's, EoTech's, Trijicon TA01's / NSN's, JPoints, and have put into practical use all of these fine optics.  All work very well and have been pleased with all, but the Trijicon Reflex seems to be the one I always go back to for CQB work.  The Reflex works well in most light environments without having to adjust the intensity of the dot.  It never has to be turned on, and you never have to worry about it shutting off.  It has no batteries, its small, light, rugged, and compact.  I do think my EoThingies are faster for a static shooting environment, but when you are shooting in the dark, and you introduce white light I have not found any happy medium so the sight wont wash out the target, or the light wont wash out the dot.  I savvy the "your in the dark, BG is in the bright light wash out" issue, but if ya set your polarizing filter to dark, you can use the sight as a OEG type of system.  

I now understand the Reflex II has most of the blue look removed with the new coatings.  All of the new Reflexes as of about 2 months ago have the newer coatings to minimize the bluish look.   The reason for this bluish look was to wash out the natural amber in lighting conditions, so the amber dot / triangle will appear brighter.

Again...I love the AMPOINT & EoTech systems, I just don't understand why the Reflex is not still considered by the masses to be in the same league as the others.

NOTE: The Tripower production will start in a matter of days with various improvements.  You will also see two new ACOS's....the TA01ECOS & TA31DOC, both of these will have reflex dot sights atop of the optic.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I like to be able to see through my optic without it being occluded and off correct POI and I dont like wearing sunglasses in the dark.  I think that is why I dont like it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The Reflex works well in most light environments

You must be special.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm with Devl. Mine found a new home quick like. I don't like the blue tint and I didn't like the mounting method.

Quoted:
I like to be able to see through my optic without it being occluded and off correct POI and I dont like wearing sunglasses in the dark.  I think that is why I dont like it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally from texasjim

Again...I love the AMPOINT & EoTech systems, I just don't understand why the Reflex is not still considered by the masses to be in the same league as the others.

there is a reason the Military dropped them from the SOPMOD kit. They wash out in bright light.
and with Aimpoints with 7 year battery life, why worry about a batttery sight. I like a Nice bright dot that is adjustable.

If something does not catch on, it's usally because a majority of endusers found something they like better. This is an example of that.

Somebody always buys a Yugo........
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#6]
So if Tri-Power production will be up and running in a couple days, when will we see them for sale?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the Reflex everything has it's + & -'s and the Reflex has more of the +'s that matter to me. I have never had a washout problem with mine.

Had an Aimpoint Comp M and just didn't care for it at all, most overated glorified dot ever ! JMOP

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Originally from texasjim

there is a reason the Military dropped them from the SOPMOD kit. They wash out in bright light.
and with Aimpoints with 7 year battery life, why worry about a batttery sight. I like a Nice bright dot that is adjustable.

If something does not catch on, it's usally because a majority of endusers found something they like better. This is an example of that.

Somebody always buys a Yugo........

They also dropped it for severe fogging problems.

If you play on the range, knock yourself out.

If you doing anything serious, ESPECIALLY at night, get an Aimpoint or Eotech.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:55:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I know SF guys who prefer the battery-less sight.  

They don't have the Aimpoints with 7year battery life in supply yet.  

They aren't just range toys.

Not everyone is aiming the reflex at a light bulb, and there are visible lasers attached to some of these guns in the event that white light clearing is not ideal with these sights.

The doctor with click ajustments would be ideal, but it doesn't exist. <that automatic brightness control is nice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:01:45 AM EDT
[#10]
The Reflex sight is fine for me and my eyes. I don't shoot at light bulbs either.

Can't wait to see how bad our asses will hurt after paying for an ACOG with a reflex sight attached to it....
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:24:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

When I examined  Reflex sights mounted on US Customs service M4 and MP5's, the instructor told me they had encounted no wash out issues with theirs.  These were guys doing hard entries.  They also insisted that mounting the Reflex ON TOP of the carry handles was working well for them and the way they train, using a center of chest(IZZY style?) buttstock position while heavily armored up.

The US Custom service could use anything, and expressed satisfaction with their Reflex sights.  The "always ready" status was important to them.

Paladin

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:34:33 AM EDT
[#12]
It doesn't have to be aimed at a light bulb. If from a moderately shaded area you attempt to acquire a target against s light colored brick building, or Stucco home, forget it. The reflex was close, but no cigar.

With Aimpoint, battery life is a non-issue. Set it near the middle and leave the thing on indefinitely. Change the battery every few years, every year, or whenever you get a wild hair.

My personal choice is still the ACOG TA44R-4, but the Aimpoint is second. Or last, depending on how you look at it.

Tri Power? We'll see. I have a large number of them on backorder, so I hope to find out firsthand in the near future.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:13:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the Dr OPtic much more than the Reflex.  Smaller, lighter, brighter, never need adjustment or polarizing filter and can just be left on for years.  The tritium lasts a bit longr but you cant just swap in a new battery every year or two like you can with the Dr Optic.

Instead of comparing Rlex to EOtech or Aimpoint the DrOptic is a much better comaprison.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#14]
The sight picture was too dark.

I liked the big triangle though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had my Reflex II for 5 years now. I love it and will never part with it. I got it for a steal as well. Got it from a friend who worked at a gunshop and he sold it to me with the carry handle that it mounted forward, the short flat top mount, filter and all the other stuff for $225 and that was like 5 years ago. He just didn't like it.  I got the taller flat top mount and have never looked back.

I plan on getting an EOTech, but that will be later and for another project - different set up.

This is why they make many different systems. One thing does not always fit all.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I like my reflex 2 also.  Honestly, had I used an eotech first, I would have bought that, but Im quite happy with the reflex 2, and have not had a washout problem when I have been out shooting.  I have had it wash out when Im just snapping in by aiming out a window.(no not in a public area)
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I had the trijicon NSN model with flat top adapter and I really liked it. I sold it with my first AR15. If you use the polarizing filter you can adjust the contrast of the background to the dot. You can adjust the darkness to where you could actually see the filament in a very bright light bulb and not have the dot wash out. I now happen to own several Aimpoints and I do like them better. I just saw no real down falls with the reflex sights. For what they are, they are nice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Been pretty happy myself with a reflex for a few years now.  Almost all of it's use was in-building/CQB or nighttime, and it worked well the times I used it in daylight.

I just got an aimpoint so I'll have a comparison sometime soon.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Or just use those funny looking thinks they call IRONS!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I examined  Reflex sights mounted on US Customs service M4 and MP5's, the instructor told me they had encounted no wash out issues with theirs.  These were guys doing hard entries.  They also insisted that mounting the Reflex ON TOP of the carry handles was working well for them and the way they train, using a center of chest(IZZY style?) buttstock position while heavily armored up.

The US Custom service could use anything, and expressed satisfaction with their Reflex sights.  The "always ready" status was important to them.

Paladin

My experience has been with both the smaller dots and the larger (12moa?) triangles IIRC. The larger would not wash out in the Persian Gulf, but the smaller dot would. Both seemed to was out if you're in an unlit area trying to look into an extremely bright area(think the inside of a ship into a bright Persian Gulf day).
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#21]
originally from GreenO

I know SF guys who prefer the battery-less sight.

And your point is..... Ok , your now cool through association because you know some SF guys...

I know privates who would carry beta Cmags if their allowed to . Don't make it the Mag of choice.

Bottom line is the  sight was NEVER popular to begin with and better tools came along that pretty much replaced it.
If you like it and it works for you and your needs, chalk up a win.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#22]

My Agency has the Reflex II on every rifle we've got. I dislike it intensely for at least 3 reasons:

1. Blue tint sucks in lowlight.
2. Washes out in bright light, dot not vivid enough in many lighting conditions.
3. Dot gets very fuzzy and about 30 MOA when sun hits it wrong.

Did I mention how much I dislike the tint?

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top