Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 9:24:11 AM EDT
Assuming both are the same price, which one would you get?  I do most of my shooting within 100 yds. but will start extending my reach to 300-400 yds.  This will be mounted on a 14.5 inch M4 flattop.  I know very little about USO other than they are very high quality and built like tanks.  I'm a little weary about the weight of the USO but since it's my patrol rifle, I guess I don't have to worry about lugging it everywhere I go as it will spend most of it's time in the trunk.  My main concern is with the magnification.  When it gets turned to the highest power, won't the light transmission suffer greatly?  I work at night so a dark scope is pretty useless to me.  
BTW, the reticle on the USO will be a circle/dot.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Before handling C4iGrants US Optics SN4 a few weeks ago I would have automatically suggested the ACOG. Now I'm not so sure. The 1x option and crisp reticule of the SN4 would give it a clear advantage over the ACOG at close range in my humble opinion. I had problems getting used to the ACOG's BAC at close range. I’ve owned both the TA31 and TA31F. That being said, I watched ARFCOM team member Dport shoot high score at my last Blackwater class using a TA31. My friend David96Z is damn handy with his TA31. It seems to be a very personal decision. Maybe I just didn't give the ACOG enough time. I certainly shot enough rounds with it, but in the end it just wasn't for me. I'm leaning towards variable power optics now.

Edit to add:
In the end it always comes down the shooter. Pick the one that you feel fits your needs the best, train with it constantly and they will both serve you well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#3]
The SN4 reticle when lit max in daytime is still dim, unlike the ACOG which is super brain-grabbing bright.

-z
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
While an ACOG retical is very bright during the day I  find them overly bright  in very low light or low light and dense fog. With no way to dim the ret, it has been a challange at times.

To me it also has to do with weight. I do not know what an SN 4 weighs, but I'll bet it is more than an ACOG.  To me they are also built with a different task in mind - an ACOG - get hits fast . An SN4 get precise hits as quickly as possible. I like the adj turrets, but I don't see my 5.56's in that light. Nor have I encountered a stage that required a greater level of accuracy than what I am able to attain with an ACOG.

YMMV

Good luck

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#6]
While an ACOG retical is very bright during the day I find them overly bright in very low light or low light and dense fog. With no way to dim the ret, it has been a challange at times.

Yes, if the scope itself is in bright light, the donut/chevron/triangle/rubber chicken/whatever reticle piece gets so damned optically "loud" that it drowns out the target.

I've found that highly scientific, mil-spec electrical tape over the fiber optic works pretty well as a dimming rheostat. Some of the guys have rigged up rubber inner tube-derived gizmos to fulfil this same function. Crude but effective. And, no batteries.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've found that highly scientific, mil-spec electrical tape over the fiber optic works pretty well as a dimming rheostat. Some of the guys have rigged up rubber inner tube-derived gizmos to fulfil this same function. Crude but effective. And, no batteries.

Besides getting a Larue mount, this is the second most important thing to do to your TA31/11:
 [ link to LARGER image ]

Dialing down the reticle brightness helps dramatically at longer range engagements.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:21:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:28:06 AM EDT
[#11]
i like the chevron/circle reticle of the uso and think that would be more precise even only at 4x and fast with the big circle surrounding the chev.

the only thing keeping me from getting one is the price and the fact that i have a few acogs already. but i did see that bigbore has one up for sale in the ee for a really good price.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:38:29 AM EDT
[#12]
C4iGrant, why did you choose the chevron reticle?  For more accuracy at longer ranges?  Do you find it to be "noisy" at 1x for CQB?  And what exactly is the Posa-Slide mount?  It comes with the rings right?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Besides getting a Larue mount, this is the second most important thing to do to your TA31/11:
apollo.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/M4-96D/small/167_6778_img.jpg  [ link to LARGER image ]

Dialing down the reticle brightness helps dramatically at longer range engagements.

Is that a bike innertube?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#17]
C4iGrant, I noticed that you also have an IOR M2.  Since that's the only scope I have now, can  you tell me how the SN-4 compares at 4x in terms of clarity and light transmission?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Is that a bike innertube?

Yes
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Zak;

Can you slide that inner tube back and forth to adjust the reticle brightness?

I can adjust the brightness pretty readily with my electicians' tape. However, reliability of the system is less than perfect; what with wind, movement, the occaisional bee stuck in the sticky part of the tape.......
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I can adjust the brightness pretty readily with my electicians' tape. However, reliability of the system is less than perfect; what with wind, movement, the occaisional bee stuck in the sticky part of the tape.......

YES!  That's the beauty of it.  

About 1" back from the end, it is as bright as it gets with the entire fiber optic open.
I used to use tape too.  This is way better, but a bitch to get on the first time without ripping the tube.

-z
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:53:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

About 1" back from the end, it is as bright as it gets with the entire fiber optic open.
I used to use tape too.  This is way better, but a bitch to get on the first time without ripping the tube.

-z

wondering how the hell is that possible?

the acog has a built in mount/base attatchment and isnt a tube design like traditional scopes so how did you get an inner tube "around" the acog?

keep looking at the pic and am dumbfounded!

side pics?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:12:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:18:00 AM EDT
[#24]
The SN-4 is a great optic, but it's way too heavy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:43:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-z

wondering how the hell is that possible?

the acog has a built in mount/base attatchment and isnt a tube design like traditional scopes so how did you get an inner tube "around" the acog?

keep looking at the pic and am dumbfounded!

side pics?

side pic
apollo.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/AR10-Sunset/?medium=141_4160_img.jpg
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:38:00 AM EDT
[#26]

I don't have an IOR M2.

I could have sworn I saw a pic you posted of a M2 on an AR.....Oh well, guess not.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top