Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 8:53:29 AM EDT
I was looking at digital cameras a couple days ago and their size, relative to only a year ago, has become quite diminutive.  Has anyone researched digital imaging as it relates to combat optics for rifles, pistols, etc?  It appears that weight and size concerns (for a mounted scope) should be a thing of the past and image quality has progressed exponentialy in only the past two years.  
How far in the future am i looking into?  When are our magnified optics (subject to zero-wander and large size objectives)(increased weight with thicker glass) to be replaced with LCD screens and microprocessors that can simulate (in real time) a magnified image for the viewer at a substantial weight and size savings.  Anybody heard anything?
Or have I lost my effin' mind?

ETA: I want to know if i should start saving up
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#1]
quick sell me all your high dollar optics now for dirt cheap before you cant get nothing for them!!!!
!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Umm..yeah I'll get right on that
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#3]
i wouldnt loose any good sleep over it. the ones i have seen either work or they dont and both cost more than i would readily pay.

dont get too ahead of yourself you'll sleep easier
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Ahh..so they do exist?  I KNEW someone on here had heard or seen something.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably at least a hundred years.  Battery life is a major issue.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Some other major issues to be addressed:

1. Delay time, both in sensor, electronics, and display

2. Dynamic range of sensors and display

3. addressing all "KISS" objections

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Some other major issues to be addressed:

1. Delay time, both in sensor, electronics, and display

2. Dynamic range of sensors and display

3. addressing all "KISS" objections

Smart man.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#8]
You will never see the KISS requirements meet.

The "ole reliable" and issued weapons will have iron sights for any of our lifetime. The current crop of sight might be accepted a few decades down the line as truly trust worthy so I don't see any other system replacing them.

There will always be the objection that if power fails your basically assed out. Which is why the military buys ACOG more than Aimpoint or Eotech. Even with the latter two out of power the iron sights can still be used.

The only acceptable solution right now involves a Pellicle Prism to allow light to both pass through and reflect off the same plane. But pellicle prisms are expensive to produce, are very dark compared to any straight optical through glass and of course very bulky. But yes realistically it can be made into a packet not much larger than say the ACOG TA-11. But like stated above the main limitation will be the power source. We can have HUD mounted screens and super tiny computer (Ipod size) but the limitation is and will always be power storage and replenishment. Until a truly efficient cell system is created we will never see a profileration of digital sights.

The future is interesting, but until there is a super-conductor we will not see it anytime soon.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Some of this is already present in the Land Warrior system, where a rifle mounted camera puts its image in a helmet mounted eyepiece.  It's here, just not present at cost levels less than gov't budgets allow.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Wasnt there a huge thread about this same topic a few weeks ago?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top