Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2005 1:28:52 PM EDT
I just received my used IOR 4-14X50.  Got it here on the EE for an excellent price and thought I'd share my opinions about it.

1/4 MOA clicks are extremely crisp and audible.  You can easily make accurate and repeatable adjustments.  Zeroing the turrets was a simple task--just loosen 2 screws, move the cylinder to the 0, tighten screws.  Mounting the scope on my DPMS 308 in TPS high rings, took only a few clicks left and up from mechanical center to zero at 100 yds.

Once zeroed, I ran a box drill at 100 yds--10 clicks up, 10 clicks left, fire 3.  20 clicks down, fire 3.  20 clicks right, fire 3.  20 clicks up, fire 3.  10 clicks down, 10 clicks left, (back to center) and fire 3 more.  With the exception of one flyer (a wasp landed on my shooting glasses as I was squeezing the trigger--I hate wasps) the pattern looked exactly as it should have with little 3 shot groups at the 4 corners and 3 dead center--return to zero was as exact as I've ever seen.

The glass, while very good compared to my old Weaver and a Leupy VXII, was not as impressive.  It was extremely difficult to focus at 14x.  It seems that the side focus knob is a bit coarse for precision adjustments in the higher power settings.  Light transmission/clarity was excellent in the lower power settings and when I could focus.  I'll likely only be using this scope at 10x and lower.....at least until I have more opportunity to practice with it.

Pros:  Very repeatable adjustments.  Built like a tank.  Excellent clarity when I could focus.  Good/excellent range finding capability with 5 MOA hash marks (calibrated at 10x).  Really cool illumination feature with 7 brightness settings.  Lifetime warranty.  Price to feature ratio is excellent.  A similarly equipped Leupy would be several hundred dollars more----going off the SWFA.com website anyway.

Cons:  Freakin' BIG.  Like my Nightforce 5.5-22X56, it's as big as a baseball bat.  This scope is about 4" longer than a similar Leupy and twice as heavy.  Focus knob sucks--needs fine adjustment ability.  Ergonomics....so-so.  I'm not used to the scope, so I couldn't make my adjustments without getting out of shooting position, but I'm sure that will change as I get an opportunity to use it more.

My overall rating for this scope is---pretty good.  I have definately done worse.  For a few hundred bucks more, I could have bought another Nightforce and had a better scope......but if I'm not likely going to need/use the capabilities of THIS scope, why shell out the extra money?  For a few hundred bucks less, I could have bought another Leupy, but I wouldn't have the 'tactical' looking and accurate rangefinding MP8 reticle.   I would recommend IOR right along with the high end  Leupold and Nikons----basically, it's a toss up on the 3.

Thanks JDHNTR for a great deal on a great scope!

Colt
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
hey thanks for your imput...   i've had experience with the 2-10x... and its really nice...  the clicks are solid (not like mushing leupy's)...

the focusing issue is interesting... the 2-10x dosen' thave any problems with focusing... its always reallly clear at any range...   the glass has a lot of coatings on it so it may not be as perfectly clear as other hunting optics but the glass it top notch...

i'd like to have some experience with some nightforces...    the 2-10x is only like 17oz... and is a normal size... i'd recomend that if you aren't going to go above 10x...

thanks again for your input...  a lot of people don't even give IOR a chance... usally they fall into the trap of getting a leupy or something like that because its american and everyone else is doing it...
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just received my used IOR 4-14X50.  

The glass, while very good compared to my old Weaver and a Leupy VXII, was not as impressive.  It was extremely difficult to focus at 14x...

Cons:  Freakin' BIG.  Like my Nightforce 5.5-22X56, it's as big as a baseball bat.  This scope is about 4" longer than a similar Leupy and twice as heavy.  Focus knob sucks--

Thanks JDHNTR for a great deal on a great scope!

Colt

I guess I will stay in the Leupold 'trap'.  Light, affordable, and clear. Factory support in the U.S.A. I wonder why everyone is 'doing it'?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:27:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
 I guess I will stay in the Leupold 'trap'.  Light, affordable, and clear. Factory support in the U.S.A. I wonder why everyone is 'doing it'?

uh.... light?  its only 2oz heavier if you compare the IOR 4-14x to the leupold 4.5-14x... you can see from the picture that the IOR is much more 'beefy' too... i would expect it to take much more of a beating since the reticle is etched rather than a wire...   and if you compare the Mark_4_3_5-10x40mm_LRT_M1_IR to the IOR 2.5-10x you will find that theres 4oz of more weight to the leupold...  so weight is null...

affordable?  i can almost bet you will find a cheaper IOR than the leaupold counterpart...   my friend bought a ior 2.5-10x ill. for $650-ish...

clear?  the light transmision between the two are practically identical... and i'd be almost willing to bet that the IOR's optical glass by Schott Glasswerk, Germany would be some mean competition to the leupy's...

plus you get tactical clicks on the turrets that don't feel like mush,  your battery life acually has a life to it... you can estimate range at any magnification setting (unless you buy one of leupold's new offerings which there just now getting on the bandwagon... =-P

you keep buying thoughs scopes...  we need the american economy to make money somewhere..  and when your scope breaks you'll have a place to send it off quick!

ps.  the leupold's FOV flip'n suck:
leupold 4-14x - OV @ 100 yds (ft): 19.0(4.5x) 7.6(14x)
IOR 4-14x - OV @ 100 yds (ft):34(4x)-11 (14x)

its people like KAC who wack off to themselves because they get leupold to make .5moa adjustments for their new semi-auto sniper entry...  something ior's been doing on their 2.5-10x since its been out...  

rant out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:33:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

uh. you can see from the picture that the IOR is much more 'beefy' too... i would expect it to take much more of a beating

affordable?  i can almost bet you will find a cheaper IOR than the leaupold counterpart...   my friend bought a ior 2.5-10x ill. for $650-ish...

and i'd be almost willing to bet that the IOR's optical glass by Schott Glasswerk, Germany would be some mean competition to the leupy's...

you keep buying thoughs scopes...  we need the american economy to make money somewhere..  and when your scope breaks you'll have a place to send it off quick!

its people like KAC who wack off to themselves because they get leupold to make .5moa adjustments for their new semi-auto sniper entry...  something ior's been doing on their 2.5-10x since its been out...  

rant out.

I guess you have a lot of experiance and success with the IOR scopes. Thank you for sharing .

Personally, I am stubborn.  I have enjoyed success with my Leupolds.  I am packing two right now for some Prarie Dog work on a friends ranch.  4-12 VX-II's show them nicely.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got the older AO version of this scope(illuminated) I got one question for ya on the SF model. on mine the focus is on the occular lens. On the SF it was my understanding that the focus knob on the side is not actually for focus but for parralax adjustment. Does the ocular lens on the SF model also work the fine focus. I've palyed around with one real quick but never looked to see if that was the case. Could you let me know on that.

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've got the older AO version of this scope(illuminated) I got one question for ya on the SF model. on mine the focus is on the occular lens. On the SF it was my understanding that the focus knob on the side is not actually for focus but for parralax adjustment. Does the ocular lens on the SF model also work the fine focus. I've palyed around with one real quick but never looked to see if that was the case. Could you let me know on that.

nope....ocular adjustment is for the eye relief.  The only thing that focuses is the reticle....although that might be something to try tomorrow (too dark out now).  I'll post again tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#7]
well, I figgered it out.  At high zoom settings, the parallax isn't quite adjustable enough for my backyard.  (I've only got about 100 yds in the back that's not overgrown with brush now....gonna have to rent a bobcat to open my shooting lanes again---serves me right...been spending all my time with the M4 and pistols lately and neglecting my long range toys)  

I took the scope out front where I have a clear field of view to about 450 yds.  Out at 125 yds or so, I can focus at 14x enough to count individual pine needles on any particular branch, and it stays just as sharp/clear as far as I can see.  Easily on par with, or possibly even better than my NF.  INCREDIBLE clarity!  View through the scope is crystal clear all the way to the edges.  

The longer parallax just seems to be a little quirk that I've never seen on other scopes before....I'm VERY pleased with this scope!

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
well, I figgered it out.  At high zoom settings, the parallax isn't quite adjustable enough for my backyard.  (I've only got about 100 yds in the back that's not overgrown with brush now....gonna have to rent a bobcat to open my shooting lanes again---serves me right...been spending all my time with the M4 and pistols lately and neglecting my long range toys)  

I took the scope out front where I have a clear field of view to about 450 yds.  Out at 125 yds or so, I can focus at 14x enough to count individual pine needles on any particular branch, and it stays just as sharp/clear as far as I can see.  Easily on par with, or possibly even better than my NF.  INCREDIBLE clarity!  View through the scope is crystal clear all the way to the edges.  

The longer parallax just seems to be a little quirk that I've never seen on other scopes before....I'm VERY pleased with this scope!

good to hear.... what do you have it mounted on?  upoad the pic of your weapon with it mounted!

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Ask, and ye shall receive!  I cut off the fs on this pic, but it's a Vortex.  TPS high rings, Ergo grip, ARFX stock, JP adjustable gas block, SWS ff tube (modified--I had to mill off the forward 4" of the top rail in order to mount big glass) and a wallyworld bipod.  FCG is stock with the exception of a heavier hammer spring....who sez you need a light trigger to make accurate hits?

and for those who say not to mount optics on the ff tube, just make sure your ff tube is TIGHT and loctite the beejeezus out of it......I show you what it's capable of--4 shots, 168 gr Win Ballistic Tip Supreme at 100 yds

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#11]
dang.. nice shooting... and cool rifle
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:37:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Check the AR-15.com thread - IOR Customer Service Rocks

this is for you people buying leupold's because they are USA made and manufactured...  seems like it doesn't matter...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:10:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

nope....ocular adjustment is for the eye relief.  The only thing that focuses is the reticle....although that might be something to try tomorrow (too dark out now).  I'll post again tomorrow morning.

You sure about that on the ocular. There isn't a little +/- on it? I'm looking at a pic of the 4-14x50 with the side focus and the occular lens has a +/- marking on it, and the spec sheet says Diopter adjustment -4 to +4 DPT. Thats(the dipoter) on the occular lens, thats the fine focus. The side "focus" knob is/should be the parrelax adjustment, not actually the "foucus"
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You sure about that on the ocular. There isn't a little +/- on it? I'm looking at a pic of the 4-14x50 with the side focus and the occular lens has a +/- marking on it, and the spec sheet says Diopter adjustment -4 to +4 DPT. Thats(the dipoter) on the occular lens, thats the fine focus. The side "focus" knob is/should be the parrelax adjustment, not actually the "foucus"

well.....not quite.  When I turn the eyepiece, I get about a half turn of fine focus (+ and -), but as soon as the focus gets better, the reticle gets fuzzy.  (the side knob on mine is marked 'focus', btw)  The paperwork that came with it said the ocular adjustment was to focus the reticle, and is adjusted the same way as my Nightforce, my Leupys, my Weaver, and even my Simmons.  I appreciate your input....and from your screen name, you likely have a lot more knowledge about optics than I ever will...but based on my experience with this scope and many, many others, I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment.  

It's likely a combination of me not having the parrallax set just right, not having the eye relief set quite right and not having my head in a consistent good position.  The ARFX stock is great for the Eotech, but needs another 1/2" elevation for a good cheekweld.  

Colt
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well.....not quite.  When I turn the eyepiece, I get about a half turn of fine focus (+ and -), but as soon as the focus gets better, the reticle gets fuzzy.  (the side knob on mine is marked 'focus', btw)  The paperwork that came with it said the ocular adjustment was to focus the reticle, and is adjusted the same way as my Nightforce, my Leupys, my Weaver, and even my Simmons.  I appreciate your input....and from your screen name, you likely have a lot more knowledge about optics than I ever will...but based on my experience with this scope and many, many others, I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment.  

It's likely a combination of me not having the parrallax set just right, not having the eye relief set quite right and not having my head in a consistent good position.  The ARFX stock is great for the Eotech, but needs another 1/2" elevation for a good cheekweld.  

Colt

Find a white wall or white surface, look through the optic and set the Diopter adjustment so that the retical is crisp and focused, thats all a diopter is is on a scope and even a camera. It's so you can fine tune the focus. After that you shouldn't have to mess with it. Then just use the side "focus" to adjust for the paralax and you should be fine. The biggest key though is the cheek weld, if you don't get on that rifle in the same place everytime, it may seem a little out of focus. I ran into that problem with mine as well. But now that I have the cheek weld down I don't have a problem with it anymore.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#16]
yup.....we're on the same page now!  funny how 2 people can say (or in my case, TRY to say) pretty much the same thing in different ways and it doesn't seem to mesh until re-explained.  Thanks again for your input Photoman.  I believe I have a fix for the cheekweld.....I've got some black styrene pipe insulation to put over the buffer tube and OD chute cord to wrap it in place with.  This should raise my cheek by about 3/8"-1/2" and I can put it wherever I need to

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I have had an IOR 2.5-10 for a few years now.  My dept's long rifles have Leupold Mk4 3.5-10 M1's on them.  The IOR has better (clearer - more clear -whatever) glass IMO (along with my old spotter).  Also, the IOR is clearer at night.  I also like the 1/2 MOA knobs a bit better when you are wanting to run out to longer range.

I have dropped the rifle and scope onto concrete a few times.  No problems.  I think you could drive nails with the thing.  I am a big fan of their (IOR) stuff.  And their customer service is absolutely first rate (they replaced a small part I broke being ham-handed immediately and without any charge at all).  I just got an 4x24 M2 for an AR, and am similarly pleased.

The IOR's are first class, no doubt.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top