Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/20/2005 10:01:48 AM EDT
 What is the correct ring height for an AR15 flat top or A-3 and a 50mm scope or 40mm scope. I want the lowest possible mount that will allow me to see through the scope.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I really appreciate the reply, do you know what height that would work out to be for a Burris or other ring?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I want the lowest possible mount that will allow me to see through the scope.

Not necessarily.  You want the scope to be at a COMFORTABLE height.  Contrary to popular belief, mounting the scope low does not give better accuracy.

Mounting with the "lowest possible" rings may not be best.  The AR-15/M16 design is more straight line, no drop on the stock like a typical hunting rifle.  It can be difficult lining up on a scope that is too low, the top of the stock touching the point of the cheekbone, rather than under it.  Also, rings mounted directly to the flattop will usually not allow you to mount many scopes forward enough for good eye relief.  The reticle section will end up even with the front ring, so the scope ends up too far to the rear.

I went throuh a number of bases, such as the GG&G with "Extra High" rings to get a scope lined up right, and finally settled on what has to be the most KISS base around, the Armalite.  It comes in 1" and 30mm versions.  The rings are one-pc with the base.  The centerline of the scope will be at the same height over bore as A2 iron sights.  This base has the right amount of forward offset to allow for good eye relief.

The scope in this picture has a 40mm obj.  You can easily use a 50mm obj scope with this mount.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top