Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 7:00:49 PM EDT
OK, I read over and over about the ACOG, and to be honest, I really have no clue as to what it is other then a scope.  Can anyone give me some EDUCATING info on these optics?  Also, what the heck is that red colored tube on the top.  I honestly want to know how BAD these seem to be.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
RTFM
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=211481
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:50:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:58:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:04:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I have shot several different optics on 14.5/16" M-4's and 20" M16/AR-15's, I think my TA-31F is a GREAT combat optic.  I read somewhere else that these scopes are not at home on the range as much as a battlefeild; ok I can live with that.  But I know when I put the cheveron on the target, I know it will go down.  Same with a bad guy(if I ever get sent again), he'll go down for a nice dirt nap.  Strong, compact, clear optics, and NO BATT's; a big plus.  If you are buying it for your self then they are expensive, but it is an investment.  Just my .02 cents.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Worth the money for sure.  Didn't understand this until  I got one.  Downside on the TA31F:  More to do with my eyesight / astigmatism;  takes a bit of time for my eyes to adjust on the reticle and focus up, particularly at night or overcast;  the chevron is not as fast using BAC as it is small.  The ranging marks are a tad small and hard for me to pick up quickly.  But again, this is more me than the optics, which are still outstanding.  You get what you pay for......and if you pay for an ACOG, you are getting the best.  I HIGHLY recommend the Larue ACOG mount over both the TA51 with it, and ARMS 19.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
What is the going price for a midrange ACOG?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Look in the EE.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I would go to the trijicon website, pick and choose there, then go the the equipment exchange or ebay and price them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got my first ACOG this week, a TA31F.  Fortunately, my July S.W.A.T. arrived with a great article by Pat Rogers on the ACO (TA31F) and RCO (as well as a great piece on BUIS's).  Now I understand how best to employ this fine sight.  It is still, however, a secondary sight to the Aimpoint.

I wonder how S.W.A.T. and Trijicon got together to publish the magazine and roll out RCO's the same week?  What a coincidence!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I just received my 31F yesterday and have a question.  This is my first ACOG and I am wondering about why I am seeing the FSB in the field of view?  Is this normal?  

I have to get right up on the thing with my eye to make it go away.  Do you have almost 0 eye relief with these, or do you just get use to seeing the shadow of the FSB?  

I will say, it is damn clear and the chevron is great.  

Came with an Arms 19s and the mount is awesome as well.

Thanks in advance!!  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#13]
The red tube at the tope is a fiber optic conduit to make the central reticle stand out brightly in the daylight. For night use there's Tritium (an isotope of hydrogen) that excites another chemical and makes it glow in the dark at night.

The more commonly used ACOG's(like TA11, TA31, etc) are weapon specific--if you go to Trijicon's web site and review the models, you'll find ones set-up for a carry handle 20", flat-top 16", etc. These ACOG's--when fitted on the rifle they were made for--have a bullet drop compensator(BDC) inside that allows you to aim with little to no "Kentuky Windage" so they are very accurate and easy to use once you get used to them.  There are other ACOG's that do not have a  BDC and are not designated to any specific weapon. There are different types of mounts--like for a flat-top, carry handle, rail system, etc.

This is just a quick sketch--it's not meant to be all inclusive--I just got done going thru all this and got a TA11 for my 20" Bushie--I only wish I had purchased one years ago--they're great!

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#14]
As said before go to the Trijicon web site and find what model you want. Then call Mike at CS GUNWORKS. He will take care of you just like he did me.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just received my 31F yesterday and have a question.  This is my first ACOG and I am wondering about why I am seeing the FSB in the field of view?  Is this normal?  

I have to get right up on the thing with my eye to make it go away.  Do you have almost 0 eye relief with these, or do you just get use to seeing the shadow of the FSB?  

I will say, it is damn clear and the chevron is great.  

Came with an Arms 19s and the mount is awesome as well.

Thanks in advance!!  

the lower the mount the more of the fsb you see. when i had my ta31 in a 19s on top of my sir i never seen the fsb then when i got one for a flattop with the 19s i saw it, then the larue came which was a little lower than the 19s and the ta51 being the lowest had more of the fsb in the picture.

i dont have a problem with it though since when your out and aiming for your target you dont notice the blur, its only when you look for the fsb do you see it.

as for the acogs most are about the same price varying by a bit but i agree mike@ csgunworks is top notch!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I am wondering about why I am seeing the FSB in the field of view?  Is this normal?  

From Pat Rogers' excellent article on the RCO in July S.W.A.T.:

Like all telescopes, there is an eye relief compnent to the ACOG.  In this case, the optimum eye relief is 1.5 inches.  If you are not up to speed in using a telescope, or have been using an Aimpoint which is [p. 86] no eye relief critical, rapidly acquiring the reticle at CQB distance can be problematic.  You will need to be consistent in your cheekweld...[p.87]

For most applications under 300m, keep both eyes open. . . .  The front sight post should be transparent.  If not, ignore it. [p. 88]

I highly recommend this article as well as another Pat wrote in the same issue on Back Up Iron Sights.  IMV, some of his best writing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#17]
To all of you who posted, I say thankyou.  I will be all over their website to read up on it.  Sounds like something I am interested in.  Gonna be hard to spend the loot on an ACOG instead of another black rifle though.  Maybe I can discipline myself.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#18]
the  3x 25 IOR Valdada CQB has a 3.50 inch eye relief .
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top