Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2005 2:03:09 PM EDT
After much foot dragging, grumbling, and self-delusion I must confess that I like my Eotech. I really did not want to like it. Surely could not be better than an aimpoint. No way. Not possible. How could it be? It simply makes it very easy for me to hit with, up close and far away. Much faster for me up close than the aimpoint, a little more precise than the 4 moa dot on the aimpoint I have used in the past.  Batteries? Easy to find AA. Its almost the perfect optic for me. I remember when they first came out- I hated them. The bubble buttons were cheesy, the housing was not nearly as well put together. Now? Damn close to perferct. Did not even need to buy a mount for one. Gripes? Wish it had a master switch to leave it constantly on. I just have this recurring thought that the retical will reach the four or eight hour mark right when I really need it. Wish it did not need batteries. (hehe) Other than those two things, if you are in need of a good CQB optic- GET ONE!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Gripes? Wish it had a master switch to leave it constantly on. I just have this recurring thought that the retical will reach the four or eight hour mark right when I really need it.
 Make sure to press the 8 hour button to turn it on, then adjust the brightness up a notch then back down a notch every 6 or so hours, it'll stay on indefinitely that way.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Wish it was at least 12 hours instead of 8, that's my only gripe.   If it was 12 hours I could turn it on and bedtime and not worry about what happens if I should manage to sleep 9 hours and then need it.

I do like the fact that you can't leave it on forever, I've run down many batteries in my
CQT doing that, just wish the time limit was a bit longer.

I'm very happy with the optic overall.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Every once in a while I'll e-mail EOTech telling them how much I love the EOTech but how much more I'd love it if they'd make a 123 battery model with a choice of either 8 hours or never shut off.  Next one I write I'll change the 8 to 12
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know why EOTech chose to use the "N" type battery for the shorter 511-551 models instead of designing it for the "123" type batteries? The situation just does not make sense to me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Does anyone know why EOTech chose to use the "N" type battery for the shorter 511-551 models instead of designing it for the "123" type batteries? The situation just does not make sense to me.

I asked EOTech about this and they told 123 battaries where too fat to run side by side and would require a major redesign of the sight.  They haven't completly discounted designing a sight that uses 123 batteries but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I asked EOTech about this and they told 123 battaries where too fat to run side by side and would require a major redesign of the sight.  They haven't completly discounted designing a sight that uses 123 batteries but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one.

Well I am holding my breath  

It's true that it might make it wider, but there is room to make the battery compartment a little wider and still not make the overall width of the optic any wider since the protective hood is currently the widest part.  They could make the battery compartment almost as wide as the hood to gain the extra width needed.

I like the fact that the 123 batteries would make them raise the window up higher, giving us a lower 3rd cowitness without having to buy an expensive riser like the LaRue or Dominator.  123 would also be great in cold weather and last a long damn time, plus they would be interchangable with most weapon lights.  

Ok, I'll stop drooling now
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
-Snip-

This Eotech MUST be amazing since it got you to post your Second post since 2003.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
-Snip-

This Eotech MUST be amazing since it got you to post your Second post since 2003.  

Oh yeah.....EOTechs rule

WIZZO
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#10]
New eotech owner here. So far, I think it rocks. Can't wait to get it out to the range tomorrow and find out exactly what it can do. Anything a new Eotech owner needs to know about these things? I bought a 512.A65 rev F.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Isn't Eotech coming out with some new gee-whiz reticle soon?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Isn't Eotech coming out with some new gee-whiz reticle soon?

For their all-in-one-package 3X mag/EOTech unit (the magnifier is removable) they are supposed to have some type of Bullet drop compensating reticle. Something along the lines of a couple dots appropriately spaced. I don't know all the details on it, though.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Brand new EoTech owner here too.  Mine has seen one range session, 88 rounds total (lunch break).

It rocks!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Took mine out to the range today. Put about 600 rounds through the rifle give or take a mag or two. Dialed in the Eothingie to be accurate to minute-of-paper-plate. About all I could do with the cheap shit ammo I was using. I plan to sight it in a bit more accurately when I get my hands on some decent ammo. Overall opinion though, it takes a little getting used to, but it does make aiming faster and easier, as well as follow up shots. Worth every penny IMHO.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had mine for 2 months and unfortunately only 2 range sessions and I love it!!  Only thing is that I can't every get the little dot thingies to "blend" in like they are supposed to and YES I am focusing on the target and not the reticle, still love it though
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've had mine for 2 months and unfortunately only 2 range sessions and I love it!!  Only thing is that I can't every get the little dot thingies to "blend" in like they are supposed to and YES I am focusing on the target and not the reticle, still love it though

Lower to brightness down to the lowest level that you could clearly see it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:15:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Another EOTech fan here. This one is about 2 years old, 511A65.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I love my 551!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I love my eotech too.

Eotech with lithium batteries (similar battery life to an aimpoint M2, but M3 blows both out of the water) > aimpoint IMO.

my only complaint is that sometimes the recticle is kinda blurry, especially in low light.

its my astigmatism tho, not the sight. With glasses on, its extremely sharp regardless of light.

but  I never wear glasses cuz my vision is good enough without them
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Got my 552 yesterday and went to the range with it today. It does take a little getting use to, and then it didn't take long. Didn't have to make any adjustments. Quick follow-up shots were a breeze and the accuracy was better than expected.

Later,

Dave
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I would like to see a quick switch on the left side. Maybe a knob that can be turned. I hate pushing the button until I get what I want. I would rather just reach up and turn a knob.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:57:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I too, am a new owner of an EoTech 552 and so far, I'm very pleased.  Shot for the first time yesterday, mounting and dismounting several times and it appears that it returns acceptably close to zero.

I'm just trying to decide which BUIS to buy now.  One thing always seems to lead to another, doesn't it?  stellarpod
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top