Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2005 3:15:44 PM EDT
Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I am a loctite newbie. A small tube of it came with my ARMS #40 BUIS and I was wondering about how/if I should use it. Should I only use it if the mounting bolt seems to have a problem with walking out when I fire it (I haven't taken it to the range yet) or should I just put it on from the beginning. Do I just unscrew the mounting bolt, squeeze some loctite onto the threads, and screw it back in?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Better to do it now and not have problems later
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Better to do it now and not have problems later

If it is  threaded, clean it, then loctie it. No more needs to said.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the same question a few months ago.  Use the blue stuff (#242 IIRC), put two drops on the bolt (enough to lightly cover the threads), tighten it, then leave it alone for a while as the stuff hardens.  It won't be going anywhere, but you can still get it off if needed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 3:44:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, the loctite was alot easier to apply than I had envisioned (I was thinking it would be something like plumber's epoxy rather than oil -- I don't know why). It's locktite'd and ready to rock&roll when it gets warmer and I go to the range!
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...Do I just unscrew the mounting bolt, squeeze some loctite onto the threads, and screw it back in?

Yes.  Do it now, don't wait till you get home from the range and realize the nut has loosened up and fallen off...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top