Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/16/2005 4:46:42 PM EDT
Most of the deer come in at 50yds,what scope would work good on my Entry Tactical RRA rifle?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The best optic for hunting in the brush or at ranges under 100m is a red dot style of sight, with both eyes open you will be completely aware of what is going on around you and you will be able to get on target much faster than you would ever be able to with a traditional scope.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:23:48 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:43:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll tell straight up I'm a Leupold guy.

For hunting a 3x9 VX-II should suffice, although my son recently purchased Nikon 3x9 which was everybit the equal optically of the Leupold.

As long as your not intending to shoot long ranges, cranking the scope out and back to say the 1000 yard line, then almost any quality 3x9 scope will work for those hunting, that in general zero the scope at one range (100 or 200 yards) and leave it.

Mike

ps - for long range precision work the high end Leupolds are the standard by which most quality scopes are measured.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 4:04:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I also went with a Leupold, but the VX-I 2-7x33. I liked it's lighter weight and smaller size on an M4gery flat top. The scope is great, but I have to sell it for a new project.  I still have an MR/T for use next season. LINK to my ad

3x9 would be my second choice, but the 40mm obj lens sits the scope too high for me. That is why I think the MR/T is the bomb.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The best optic for hunting in the brush or at ranges under 100m is a red dot style of sight, with both eyes open you will be completely aware of what is going on around you and you will be able to get on target much faster than you would ever be able to with a traditional scope.

Absolutely! I use an Aimpoint 3000 on my 870 for deer. Longest shot I ever had to make was 65 yards. Same optic for turkeys at 30 yards. Don't overthink the issue. Red dots are fast and fast is better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have never used a red dot for hunting, but I would think that on a deer size vital zone an Aimpoint would be a great choice for 50yds or less.  A good variable 1.5 min up through 9 power would work well too and should be pretty reasonable.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top