Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2005 10:50:00 PM EDT
what is the difference and is there a benefit over the other? I wish to mount this on a flat top.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:36:03 AM EDT
[#1]
NSN:
Center lit reticle, amber, NV compatible
Backup irons, tritium dot in front sight, rear ghost ring
Has the TA51 flat top mount

TA01
Full line lit reticle, red.

The NSN's backup irons are pretty useless, the front blade all seems to be off center out of the factory.  The TA51 mount is sturdy but a QD mount like LaRue's or ARMS 19 and 19S will be better.

Speaking of the 19S, last weekend I saw one with longtitudinal movement when the lever is swung closed.  Tried it on an MRP and KAC FF RAS MRE with the same result, that was the first time I ever had first person experience with a loose ARMS mount
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#2]
is the non-nsn model still calibrated for a 16inch barrel 62 grain bullet?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
is the non-nsn model still calibrated for a 16inch barrel 62 grain bullet?

Try 20 Inch barrel
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
NSN:
Center lit reticle, amber, NV compatible
Backup irons, tritium dot in front sight, rear ghost ring
Has the TA51 flat top mount

TA01
Full line lit reticle, red.

The NSN's backup irons are pretty useless, the front blade all seems to be off center out of the factory.  The TA51 mount is sturdy but a QD mount like LaRue's or ARMS 19 and 19S will be better.

Speaking of the 19S, last weekend I saw one with longtitudinal movement when the lever is swung closed.  Tried it on an MRP and KAC FF RAS MRE with the same result, that was the first time I ever had first person experience with a loose ARMS mount

Useless? take a brass punch and drift it to center it. Mine works the same as any ghost ring. It's quick for close range.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, useless.  I drifted mine already, even then it was shooting way too high.  I did one better 3 years ago though...
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yep, useless.  I drifted mine already, even then it was shooting way too high.  I did one better 3 years ago though...
home.earthlink.net/~whitman/RASMRE.JPG

It shoots high because you have to look through that optic to line up the front blade.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#8]

I looked at this long and hard before i bought mine.

I went with the TA01 model as I would be running a Arms #40 you are paying extra for options that arent that great of upgrades.

LOVE the scope. it is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The NSN's little yellow reticle was very hard to pick up at night in the urban jungle of sodium vapor streetlamps.   The standard TA01 is a logical step, considering its also cheaper and you aren't paying extra for the Trijicon TA51 mount which you'll ditch anyway for a LaRue.    Of course, if you can patiently wait to save a few more dollars for a fiber optic equipped Acog, that would be an even more logical choice (unless all you shoot at are fixed paper targets at a bench range- Then TA01 series rock).  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top