Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2005 3:15:50 PM EDT
In two weeks I'll go to Hong Kong.

Aimpoint prices don't seem to be petter there than here, but maybe one can get cheap tacpoints?
Any idea where to get one?
By the way: what else shoud I buy there?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure you'll find all the airsoft stuff your heart desires, from guns to gear.   Fake RAID packs, Trijicons, etc.  Maybe even a knock-off of the tacpoint for even cheaper than the real tacpoint.   Why pay top dollar for something that does the same thing, right?

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Check and see if someone sells Aimpoints in Hong Kong. The key though is the fact that the US dollar is weak, so you probably won't get much leverage being in Hong Kong, given that Aimpoint is a Swedish made product priced in Euros. I doubt there will be much gun stuff in Hong Kong, since to my knowledge, gun ownership is banned on one's private property. There may be clubs and stuff where people are allowed to rent and shoot guns though, but like everything in Hong Kong, it's bound to be extremely expensive. Hong Kong's per capita income is quite high (> $22k per person) and real estate prices are insane.

Kisara and others: I don't mean to be a jerk, but knock it off! Some people can't afford Trijicons and Eotechs like you and I can. Aimpoint, Eotech and Trijicon were not the first to make the sights they make either, and the concept of a scope or aiming aide is quite old and is no longer a really "novel" invention, so everyone is knocking off of someone else's idea in the literal sense.

themao

Edited to add Aimpoint Hong Kong contact info:

Liaison Office Asia
Markets: Asia
Aimpoint Asia Liaison Office
1/F, No 48B Leung Fai Tin Village
Lower Road, Clear Water Bay
Sai Kung District
Hong Kong
Phone: +852 2358 0761
Fax: +852 2358 0694
E-mail: [email protected]

Edited to also add: Check and see if they have some American movies in DivX format. Asian DVDs won't play in American ones, unless you change the setting on your DVD player (which you can only do a few times before it locks itself....at least that's the case on my Dell Inspiron 8500). As always, check for cheap software too. Taiwan tends to be better for computing purposes though (from what my friends tell me).
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I'll be the "other" to go along with Kisara in this thread.

I understand prices vs available spending cash as well as anyone but the Tacpoint is already barrely costing $100.  Now someone is concerned with a cheaper price than that....How cheap is this line of product chasing going to get?

Not bashing anyone, just...
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
tacpoint huh?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Edited to also add: Check and see if they have some American movies in DivX format. Asian DVDs won't play in American ones, unless you change the setting on your DVD player (which you can only do a few times before it locks itself....at least that's the case on my Dell Inspiron 8500). As always, check for cheap software too. Taiwan tends to be better for computing purposes though (from what my friends tell me).

So you're encouraging him to bring home pirated movies/software as well?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In two weeks I'll got to Hong Kong.

Aimpoint prices don't seem to be petter there than here, but maybe one can get cheap tacpoints?
Any idea where to get one?
By the way: what else shoud I buy there?

Well you really can find everything there!!! I would skip the Tacpoint and would try to find a copy of the Elcan and U.S. Optics another item that you should try to buy is a copy of Laser Devices D-Bal from what I have seen they are making those just like the real deal with the Visible and the IR laser. If you find it, buy two and I will buy one!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't get anything except clothes from Hong Kong.  Be very careful when shopping for electronics too.  I had a bait and switch on me a few years back and can't do much after money changed hands.  Don't expect consumer protection laws like here.
The best deals are the labor-intensive items.  Everything else you can get here cheaper.

side note:  I HAVE HEARD pirated DVDs from Hong Kong do work in U.S. DVD players.  Make sure to ask them to play it first.  No point of carry them back to the trash can here even if they are only 1-2 bucks a piece.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:46:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll buy as much pirated movies and software, as I can carry!

The tacpoint already is a copy of the aimpoint. Why would someone make a cheap copy of a cheap copy?

Do you know softair shops, that might have a tacpoint?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:37:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Last time I was in HK, you really needed a good command of Cantonese to get good deals at the small shops. Between my mandarin, english, hokkien, pointing, and grunting, I was just barely able to negotiate a better price on a purchase amounting to about $2000 HKD. Of course, tag price buying is perfectly acceptable.

Also, there is the Redwolf Airsoft shop that's by Lai Chi Gok MTR station. I never went in, but some friends of mine indicated that they're pretty easy to deal with if you're a westerner.

Didn't see tacpoints, but there were plenty of other inexpensive but decent optics. Incidentally, firearms ownership is pretty limited in HK, so if you want to see anything relating to military gear, airsoft shops are the places to go. They even have fake marpat!

Don't bother with DVDs unless you can get them in region 1, or you have a regionless DVD player.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't buy anything that is a copy. That is so lame (I would say gay but I was blasted for using the word that way once). If you can't afford an Aimpoint, Eotech, or Trijicon -- get a Russian sight which is not a copy of anything. Or get a Bushnell Turkey sight -- those are like $100 and decent.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:03:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Your thread brought back a few memories or the hustle and bustle of HK

this was on Canton or Nathan street ......cannot remember which (in Kowloon)

I can hear those clicking crosswalks now!!

enjoy your trip!

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:18:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Some folks don't want to spend $300 + for a range gun optic. If I was headed to war I would buy a aimpoint cause it would be for duty. I don't use cheap guns for defense . Lay off witht he Tac point bashing unless ya wanna buy everyone a Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:32:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Might as well buy a Chinese made AR-15 while you are at it.

After all, not everyone can afford the good stuff.

Reminds me of folks that put cheap tires on a expensive cars.  Doesn't make much sense to me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#15]
If I could get one for maybe 70$ I'll sure buy one.
Aimpoint prices are falling rapidly, so I might get an M3 once they got cheaper.
Sure, the Tacpoint is quite likely to fail, especially when it gets wet, but i'll still have the buis.

My question was where to get one cheap. I know it's not a serious combat sight, but I don't care.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top