Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2005 6:33:20 AM EDT
Can it be done?  What do I need for a mount and where can I get it?  Anyone have any pictures of what it will look like?
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Can it be done?  

Yes but it's generally not recommended as it sits too high over the bore.  All 3 options below allow you to still use your iron sights - as they have a 'sight channel' in them.

What do I need for a mount and where can I get it?

Depends on the scope.  You have 3 options:
1) Integral mount to the scope (like a Compact ACOG, full size ACOG, or a Colt scope), these are the best as the scope sits lower than the other options and you generally can get by without a raised cheek rest.

2) Integral mount & rings there are a few of these (Bushmaster used to have one).  IIRC ARMS does/did make such a unit.  It used for 'classic' tube scopes and mounts the scopes closer to the bore than option #3, but higher than option #1.  This mount generally costs a bit more, and you have to remove the mount if you want to remove the scope.  It's also a more 'sturdy' option than #3

3) Get a carry handle scope mount (the best is ARMS #2 don't even bother with the cheap copies).  This mount can stay in the carry handle all the time and you can remove the scope when you don't want to use it.  This is generally the cheapest option, but mounts the optics the highest.  A raised 'Delta style' cheek rest is recommended (and when the cheekrest is mounted you can't use the irons).

Now if you're talking Collameter type optics (red dot sights) then you can use options #2, #3, or get a gooseneck mount (which is the best option) to put the red dot in front of the carry handle (and allowing you to cowitness your sights).
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, well it sounds like I might want to go with a flat top and use a bolt on carry handle when I want one mounted.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can it be done?  What do I need for a mount and where can I get it?  Anyone have any pictures of what it will look like?

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

snafu.altervista.org/HPIM0204.JPG
snafu.altervista.org/HPIM1097.JPG

What product is this?  Do you use a raised cheek rest with it?  Impressions?
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#5]
this mount is made by Smith Enterprise. I dont use a delta style stock cheekpiece only because I want to be able to use iron sight. the scope is a bit hight but since I use this configuration only at the range it's not a big problem. but like Forest said, a delta style stock cheekpiece is recommended.

Frens
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is one with the Cheek Piece:
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Are there any cheek peices that allow you to retain the iron sights, that is pretty important to me.  If not I don't see not having a cheek peice to be a big problem.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey frens, I got a leupy 2 x 7 to mount on my a2 with an arms 2 mount.  I'm curious.  Did you free float you barrel?  If not, does shooting using the bypod change your poi??  My stock a2 is affected if I use the sling tightly.  I suppose it depends on how much pressure you put on it while you're shooting it that way.  But I'm thinking maybe even just the weight of the gun would change to poi.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
What about using this mount with a scope.  Will it put the scope too far away?  I know a red dot would be ok but I don't know about a scope.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you'd have to have a handgun or "scout" scope if you're going to mount it on the forward part.  Plus you'd need some pretty high rings to get over all the hardware.  It could probably be done, but I don't think I'd attempt it.  I'm sticking with it on the handle.  If it's too high, I'll get one of them delta cheikpieces but I'd prefer not to.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#11]
ARMS #16
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top