User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/27/2005 8:57:44 PM EDT
Which do YOU think is faster?

Edited to add...the glass on the aimpoint isnt tinted...it has a killflash on it which makes it look a bit darker.

Link Posted: 2/27/2005 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
My Kobra sight has 4 different recticles, and the dot is still the easiest.  And Aimpoints look cooler
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
send them both to me for a proper analysis...
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I would have no problem with either if I was going into harms way, but I have an Eotech.
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Aimpoint, less shit in the picture.

How far away were you from the target in the EO pic? Looks like the target is a little smaller then the Aimpoint pic.

boom, the rifle and optic were at exact same distances in each pic...in fact, i didnt even move the rifle, i just swapped the optics.

the difference in size is due to difference in zoom...camera related only.  So the two pictures are NOT exactly to scale with eachother.

Link Posted: 2/27/2005 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Holosight. Less stuff in the way and a smaller dot for long range work. I like the ghost ring look.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 1:15:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Aw, Fasman, you're making me !
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 3:36:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I think if you take the wider field of view into account the Eotech is the hands down best. For CQB I can think of no better optic.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 4:57:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think if you take the wider field of view into account the Eotech is the hands down best. For CQB I can think of no better optic.

Since you're supposed to use each optic with both eyes open and since they're unmagnified, FOV in daylight it's a moot point.  You'll still have plenty of situational awareness, plenty of FOV using both eyes.  Where it could come into play is at night, with NV, if using a weapon-mounted NV device.

To me the EoTech reticle is faster since it has the outer ring.  At 25 yards and under, don't worry about the dot, just use the ring.  It's big, easy to find in the window, it just works.  Plus it allows the eye to find the dot when needed at longer ranges.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 5:07:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I choose the EOTech because it is very fast for me to aquire close targets, but the thing that sold was the 1 moa dot.  Realistically most of us will never need our ar15 for any defensive situations so it will be mainly for paper punching and shooting targets.  I was shooting clay targets yesterday at around 175 yards and the 4 moa dot would have covered them up.  The 1 moa dot let me still see them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 5:20:28 AM EDT
[#11]
eotech.

Link Posted: 2/28/2005 5:23:44 AM EDT
[#12]
The eotech. I bought em both and tested head to head. No comparison on speed if you just need COM hits you just put that big fat circle around the targets torso. If you gotta take the pinpoint shot the circle already has you in the ballpark then you dial it in with the dot.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 5:25:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I have to put in my 2 cents for the EO Tech also.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 5:34:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Aimpoint does have a slight blue tint to it, with or without an anti-reflection device.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Having had both on a couple different guns for awhile, I'm planning to go back to all-Aimpoint on my rifles/carbines soon.

The large reticle on the Eotech is making me sloppy. The small dot is so overwhelmed by the large circle that it's hard for me to use the dot at speed. I wind up using the large reticle as my aiming point as if my M4 was going to fill the circle with lead like a shotgun.

For me, the simplicity of the Aimpoint dot makes me faster, and I find it easier to have a target focus because there is not as much red drawing my eye's attention like an electronic spiderweb.

Never having to worry about running out of battery life is a nice perk too. :)

YMMV

An Eotech with different size rings representing shotgun spread at various yardage might be interesting on a shotgun though. Something like the less-lethal reticle? Would have to be user-adjustable for the particular gun though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I choose the EOTech because it is very fast for me to aquire close targets, but the thing that sold was the 1 moa dot.  Realistically most of us will never need our ar15 for any defensive situations so it will be mainly for paper punching and shooting targets.  I was shooting clay targets yesterday at around 175 yards and the 4 moa dot would have covered them up.  The 1 moa dot let me still see them.

+1

I like both, but the EOTech's my favorite.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm an Aimpoint guy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I read a lot of info here and bought an eotech.  I have no experiance with the aimpoint but have used other red dot scopes. I like the eotech better so far.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#20]
The larger reticle of the Eotech is faster for me (the Aimpont blob is hard to see, IMO).  

My eye naturally goes to the little dot inside the big circle.  I'm much more precise with the Eotech than the Aimpoint, on close and distant targets.  

I'm pretty fast with the Eotech among my shooting circle.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I know it's not up there, but I prefer my Trijicon Reflex over my eo tech and my aimpoint.  No batteries, it's always ready to go.  After that I'd take my EO Tech over the aipoint-just seems faster. with the HUD then the tube of the aimpoint.

My aimpoint has the BM carryhandle rail mount with builtin rear sight, and I like that a lot.  I'm not particularly thrilled with how my eo tech sits on my flattop AR. Too low.  I'm going to buy a LaRue throw mount and try that...
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I vote EOtech.  Tough decision trying to decide between the two but the EOtech won.  I liked the reticle better having looked at both.  One thing nice about the EOtech I have found out later was that you could cover the front of the lens with mud, snow rain, or whatever and still have a clear shot at your target as long as you keep both eyes open like you are supposed to.  Try it with a piece of paper or something.
I never tried this with the Aimpoint, so I don't know if it will work like that also. Could someone try this and let us know?  If the back of the lens gets covered however, your'e screwed!
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks lumpy for the reply.  Sound like I'll need to get the Aimpoint so I can have both!  I do have another AR that needs an optic!
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#25]
lumpy is right, the aimpoint will work well as an occluded eye sight with the front flip cap closed, or any other obstruction.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Eotech, i love it on my Ar, works extremely well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Whatever the first example is....the single dot is faster.

Tack
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had both.

Aimpoint for me. The two circles is two cluttered to me. Distracting.

I went with the Eotech first mainly because of the MOA dot.

But I still got 6" groups at 200 yards with a 4MOA dot Aimpoint.

The Aimpoint, for me is faster. No doubt.

And obviously more than acceptable at intermediate ranges as well............
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Well,I have a Aimpoint so I have to get a EOtech..Right? It's the AR15 way.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#30]
EOTech for me.  No doubt, the Aimpoint is a quality optic, but I just keep sticking to the EOTech.  Whenever I play w/ my buddy's AR that has an Aimpoint it just reaffirms to ME why I got the EOTech.  I'm much faster with it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll be completing my my second carbine pretty soon, so I'm shopping for optics.  I have an M2 that I really like, but the 4 MOA dot is a little overbearing when I'm shooting at 100+ yards.  I've looked at a few EOTechs, but I haven't spent any significant time with one.  The outer circle seems a bit distracting, but the 1MOA dot is quite nice.  I think I'm going to get one and then go from there.  If I decide that I prefer one over the other, I can remedy that at a later time.  After all, "get both," right?  
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#32]
dood... play unreal tournament 2004 with the circle dot reticle....  and play instagib.... then do it with a solid dot... its so much better with a single dot...  the circle dot reticle is to much mess on target and during high stress situations you get lossed where the acually aimming point is...
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#33]
And we're supposed to tell by looking at static pictures?  

Run some drill with a shot timer and both optics - that is the only way you'll be able to tell which is faster for you.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#34]
EoTech.  

I love mine.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
dood... play unreal tournament 2004 with the circle dot reticle....  and play instagib.... then do it with a solid dot... its so much better with a single dot...  the circle dot reticle is to much mess on target and during high stress situations you get lossed where the acually aimming point is...

Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I've tried that very same test and I actually like the circle/dot in the context of the game but it's a game, it's not real life.In RL, I like my Aimpoints. Tried an EO Tech, still have one in the parts box but I'm sticking with my Aimpoints because they work for me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I love my Aimpoint and my EO-Tech
The Aimpoint sits on my AR, and My EO-Tech sits on my UMP Conversion. They both have their place and both serve their purpose well!

Sean
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
And we're supposed to tell by looking at static pictures?  

Run some drill with a shot timer and both optics - that is the only way you'll be able to tell which is faster for you.

Forest, ive already made MY decision...because I KNOW which is faster for me.  I just thought these pictures were informative enough to deserve to be posted.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#39]
I have an Aimpoint ML2 on a 5.56 upper and have ordered an Eo Tech for my .50 Beowolfe upper.
I'm very comfortable with the ML2 have used one for a long time. Shot another guys rifle with an Eo Tech and liked it alot. Didnt really like the 65 moa ring but found out the Eo Tech 510 is available with just the 1 moa dot (but only with "N" batteries). Just ordered one from SWFA yesterday.
My Aimpoint also has a 2 moa dot instead of the 4 moa dot.
They are both excellent sights, you wont be dissapointed with ethier sight. They both have excellent customer service if you have a problem.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#40]
After having hundreds of people ask me "versus" questions at the gun shows for the last year and a half...."Which is better, an Aimpoint or an Eotech?"  "What is the difference between and Eotech and an Aimpoint?"  "Which one would you choose?" ETC....

I finally came up with the best response and sales pitch.

They both work with NV.  They are both very fast.  They are both designed for a similar close to medium range target distance.  They are both used by the military.  They are both damn good sights.  It is really up to personal preference.

One is ROUND and one is SQUARE!!!

MUhhahahaha!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Having had both on a couple different guns for awhile, I'm planning to go back to all-Aimpoint on my rifles/carbines soon.

The large reticle on the Eotech is making me sloppy. The small dot is so overwhelmed by the large circle that it's hard for me to use the dot at speed. I wind up using the large reticle as my aiming point as if my M4 was going to fill the circle with lead like a shotgun.

Turn down the brightness.

My vote is for EoTech. I think it could survive a drop better, it is rugged.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Wouldn't you know, after posting in this thread about how I was planning to go all-Aimpoint I discovered my first problem with an Aimpoint (Comp-ML2 4MOA). You %()#$( jinxed me!

During my last 3gun match, I lost the dot after the first two shots (SW-5 9mm carbine).
Dialed it down & up and it was fine for the rest of the day (although I didn't adjust it after that.)
I thought maybe I just got my head way out of alignment or something and just couldn't see the dot, but apparently that was not the case.

Tonight I took it out of the safe and turned it on and saw only a faint dot. Turned up to the highest setting and no dot at all. Then the dot faded in to barey visible.

Dialed it down and it brightened suddenly.

Replaced battery.

Now I dial the switch up -- sometimes it comes on bright, sometimes not at all.

Sometimes if not at all, turning it down a notch or two it comes on.

Seems like a switch problem to me. Guess I've got to send it in. This sight has seen extremely light duty, only out of the safe for 3gun matches and bullseye shooting.

Probably has seen 600-800 rounds in it's lifespan.

Link Posted: 3/2/2005 12:31:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Get the EOPoint.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 3:39:08 AM EDT
[#44]
I've tried both and, for me, the Aimpoint is faster. As some others have commented, I find the EOTech's outer ring distracting.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 4:12:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Here's one of the best no BS threads on the Aimpoint vs EOTech by a bunch guys who've BTDT.  Read it and learn.

www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=955&an=0&page=0#955
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:34:47 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Here's one of the best no BS threads on the Aimpoint vs EOTech by a bunch guys who've BTDT.  Read it and learn.

Good read!  Cements my preference too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:36:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I never tried this with the Aimpoint, so I don't know if it will work like that also. Could someone try this and let us know?  

Yes it will, quite well.

The Aimpoint makes a GREAT occluded optic when the front flip cap is closed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good read!  Cements my preference too.

Yeah, it cements my preference too...
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I have both and concur.

Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Get the EOPoint.  

Naw, get the Aimotech!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top