Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 7:44:43 AM EDT
I went out with my eotech the friday, forgot to take the batteries out and they leaked.

what can I do to save it?

Chris
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Try cleaning the battery contacts on the EoTech. If it's still not working the battery acid got into the electronics. YOu won't be able to fix it. Contact EoTech directly to see if they can repair it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Bummer.

I've done the cleanup and still no go. Damn it.

thanks for the help

Chris
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I went out with my eotech the friday, forgot to take the batteries out and they leaked.

what can I do to save it?

Chris

How long were the batteries in there.  I've had a set of Eveready Lithium batteries in mine for over a year and no leaky.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]
What kind of batteries (we need to know what brand NOT to buy)
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#5]
they were cheapo's (industrial/something like that), the ones I had in it (duracells) stopped working about 1/2 way through the day friday (11ish) and this AM they had leaked.

I shoulda known better, but we were a long way from the store. my wife had them in her flashlight in the car.
no idea where she got them in the first place , we have a case of duras from costco in stock at home.

damn it! I hope it's not fried. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Chris
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
they were cheapo's (industrial/something like that), the ones I had in it (duracells) stopped working about 1/2 way through the day friday (11ish) and this AM they had leaked.

I shoulda known better, but we were a long way from the store. my wife had them in her flashlight in the car.
no idea where she got them in the first place , we have a case of duras from costco in stock at home.

damn it! I hope it's not fried. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Chris

I've had all different brands of batteries leak. Luckily never in anything more than a flashlight or a TV remote. Coming from a flashlight stored in a car they were more more likely to leak considering the range of temperatures they were exposed to throughout the year. I use Energizer or Duracell in my EoTech and I take them out when storing it. Better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
lesson learned, hoping it won't cost me too much to fix. sure can't slap out the cash for another one.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Woooo Hoooo

went a little deeper with the clening. took out the 2 base grommits for the batteries and the cross connector and filled it with baking soda, waited about 10 minutes and rinced it with water . let it dry. reasembled it and bingo. back up and running.

thanks for the help everyone.

chris
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:26:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad to hear!  Doctor, you've done it... it's ALIVE!!!

Nikkels
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:47:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Glad to hear it. It was a good thing you found them leaking right away. You may not have been so lucky if the leaky batteries sat in there for any amount of time.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:23:31 AM EDT
[#11]
thanks y'all.

it will have the batteries taken out every time now.

lesson learned

I got lucky big time

Chris
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
it will have the batteries taken out every time now.

Chris

This is a great solution as long as your eotech isn't on your HD rifle.

I'll stick with my compact ACOG and Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#13]

HD

sorry, what does that mean LOL. I know it's really easy, but can't recall the meaning.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Home Defense?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn, told you it should have been easy LOL

I have a 590 for that. so it shouldn't be a problem

the eotech is co witnessed too, so it would still be useful if need be I would think.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I am assuming you have the "AA" battery model?

Is this a normal problem for the other models to? Or just crappy batteries.

I am wanting to get an ecotech...but if it fired I would probably fall into a deep depression and never talk to anyone again...ok it wouldn't be that bad but it would suck.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I am wanting to get an ecotech...but if it fired I would probably fall into a deep depression and never talk to anyone again...ok it wouldn't be that bad but it would suck.

It's a battery issue not an issue with the EoTech. Any alkaline battery has the potential to leak.  I have little experience with lithium batteries so I can't speak to them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a battery issue not an issue with the EoTech. Any alkaline battery has the potential to leak.  I have little experience with lithium batteries so I can't speak to them.

I agree. it was my own fault for using the cheapo batteries, but could happen with any brand it would seem.
thanks again for the help

Chris
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I believe you'll be ok if you put fresh batteries in the unit once a year.

I couldn't  really afford the used Eotech that I bought, so an Aimpoint was out of the question.
I prefer the reticle in an Eotech anyway.
And, I didn't want to go the Tasco-Bushnell-Tacpoint-Chinese reddot route.

If you've paid $200+ for a sight, then $10 for a 4-pack of lithium batteries shouldn't break the bank.
That 4-pack will probably last a couple of years.
(If you're not carrying the gun daily.)

Get a good grip or shoulder stock that you can keep spare batteries in.
I use the Tango Down Battle Grip.
It's inexpensive insurance.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:16:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I believe you'll be ok if you put fresh batteries in the unit once a year.

I couldn't  really afford the used Eotech that I bought, so an Aimpoint was out of the question.
I prefer the reticle in an Eotech anyway.
And, I didn't want to go the Tasco-Bushnell-Tacpoint-Chinese reddot route.

If you've paid $200+ for a sight, then $10 for a 4-pack of lithium batteries shouldn't break the bank.
That 4-pack will probably last a couple of years.
(If you're not carrying the gun daily.)

Get a good grip or shoulder stock that you can keep spare batteries in.
I use the Tango Down Battle Grip.
It's inexpensive insurance.

I actually have a set of rechargers, but they were in the camera sitting on the computer desk when the duras went doa.

thanks for the help again  everyone

Chris
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#21]
From the earlier posts in this thread, I almost got the impression that a lot of people are taking the batteries out each time they get home from the range.  Is this a common practice, or am I misinterpreting things?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I've never used anything but Energizer Lithiums in my 552.  I basically leave the batteries in all the time and change them out once a year regardless of whether need changing or not.  I've also never had any problems with either my Rev E or Rev F model 552.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Screw the alkalines in electronics...spend a couple extra dollars for...Lithium AAs

Much better performance in wide ranging climate conditions, lighter, last longer and don't leak!  Not to mention they have a much longer shelf life...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Never taken mine out for storage, never had a leaker.  Change mine every 9-12 months wether I need to or not.  Got 2 more in the TangoDown grip.

Use Lithiums!

Tex78
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top