Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2005 10:39:03 AM EDT
What's the safest way to clean off the lens of my Aimpoint ML2 after they are mucked over after a good range day?  I'm concerned that just using a terrycloth rag might scratch the lens.  Are the Leupold lens pens a good option?  Other ideas?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I use compressed air to remove any debris from the lenses, then some camera lens cleaning fluid, and then use a lens pen or lens paper to clean the lens.

Aimpoint once told me to use Windex and a Q-tip. I have heard that windex may damage the lens so I wouldn't use it.

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the "lens pen" is a wonderful tool.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Rule #1 when cleaning any lens is to make absolutely sure any debris that could scratch the lens coating is completely removed before touching the lens with anything!

If the lenses are totally trashed, I like to use a canteen or my Cambelbak's delivery tube to wash the major gunk away, then brush the smaller items free with my Leupold Lens Pen's bristles (you DO have a Lens Pen, don't you ).

Once I'm absolutely sure all of the dust and dirt are off the lens, I'll switch to the chemical pad to swab the surface of the lens clean.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:37:36 AM EDT
[#4]
i use the lens pen

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Windex won't hurt lenses. I used to think the same until some pro photogs told me that's all they use.

By all means, get any grit & dirt off of the optic, I caution against compressed air, it turns dirt into sandblasting abrasive. Even a makeup brush sweaping grit off the lens can scratch them depending on the type of dirt, here in FL we have silica sand, the same stuff they mine & ship for sandblasting.

I had gotten my Reflex really muddied up, lot of sand in it. I contacted Trijicon about how best to clean it. They said soap it up and run it under water or use a hose. Well, it is water proof so I washed it when I did the dishes, shook it around real well under water and rinsed it, did it a few times until I was certain no grit was left then I put a cloth to it, let it dry and then cleaned the lens.

So, if the Aimpoint is rated for submersion, I'd recommend washing it, contact Aimpoint. HTH
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#6]
q-tip and a little alcohol will do the trick.  (substitution for lost lens pen)
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Windex won't hurt lenses. I used to think the same until some pro photogs told me that's all they use.

By all means, get any grit & dirt off of the optic, I caution against compressed air, it turns dirt into sandblasting abrasive. Even a makeup brush sweaping grit off the lens can scratch them depending on the type of dirt, here in FL we have silica sand, the same stuff they mine & ship for sandblasting.

I had gotten my Reflex really muddied up, lot of sand in it. I contacted Trijicon about how best to clean it. They said soap it up and run it under water or use a hose. Well, it is water proof so I washed it when I did the dishes, shook it around real well under water and rinsed it, did it a few times until I was certain no grit was left then I put a cloth to it, let it dry and then cleaned the lens.

So, if the Aimpoint is rated for submersion, I'd recommend washing it, contact Aimpoint. HTH

Thanks for warning about the compressed air. Pat Rogers recommended mild soap and water for cleaning Aimpoint lenses.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't have a lens pen yet, but I'm going to buy one now.  

Thanks everyone
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't have a lens pen yet, but I'm going to buy one now.  

Thanks everyone

Lens pens are good but if there is grit on the lens, you can still scratch them by rubbing the grit around. Fine for oily finger prints and smudges. If your optic is rated for underwater, like any Trijicon. Just dunk it in the sink with the dishes ans swish it around and rinse. Dry with a towel and clean the lenses with windex and a lense tissue. If Navy Seals can bail off a raft with their optics, yours can take it too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I use compressed air

If a fingerprint or other smudge is not coming off with an air blast, then I'll lightly use a lens pen.
I did see a Tacopoint user at the range lick his clean...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Compressed air was a prep before using the lens pen.

Tacpoint?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I did see a Tacopoint user at the range lick his clean...

He wasn't cleaning it, he was eating.  Those range sessions get pretty demanding, yah know...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I did see a Tacopoint user at the rage lick his clean...

He wasn't licking it.  He loves his Tacpoint so much that he was french kissing it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He wasn't licking it.  He loves his Tacpoint so much that he was french kissing it.

Might as well make love to it if that's the case.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for taking an almost decent joke and turning it right into the ditch.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#16]
WHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSHHHHH!

That one flew by your heads.    (Hint: WindowLicker...)
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top